Crumbles, pellets, mash...what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mrsbos, Jan 29, 2011.

1. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    Pardon my ignorance, but are there actually different ingredients in "mash" than in pellets? After reading posts on this board, it sounds like mash is inferior, but I just thought it was a different form of feed (crushed pellets for example). And what about crumbles? When I go to the feed store and ask for layer feed, they ask me if I want crumbles or pellets...I didn't know what the difference was (guess I could have asked!).

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The main difference is the consistency. I prefer pellets, less waste IMO. I only just yesterday switched my one flock back to crumbles, in a formula called "all way" i.e., a starter/grower and layer feed in one, because I now have babies in the coop and they can't handle the pellets.

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    There generally isn't a difference, it is just how big the food is. I stick with pellets for my adult birds, because they waste less. The babies and teens get crumbles. I stay away from mash. I used it once and it made all my birds cough and almost choke when they ate it because it is like powder. I hated it and it scared the crap out of me. Even my ducks coughed eating it. Never again for the mash.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Check the ingredients list, but for my suppliers, it's just a difference in texture and consistency. I use use layer pellets when possible, seems to be less waste. But the chicks are getting crumbles right now, and since the hens are just finishing a major molt, they're getting crumbles, too, for the higher protein content.

5. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    Thanks guys! I guess mash would get wasted more if it got spilled on the floor--but perhaps it's cheaper to buy. I didnt' check for a price difference. Oh well, my girls get pellets, along with fresh fruit, oats, rice.....heck they eat better than I do! Thanks for the info!

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    We prefer pellets, because the crumbles make Chloe sneeze:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by