Crumbles vs pellets

Big Doggie

Songster
Mar 23, 2020
Mass
I’ve been feeding my golden comets crumbles since I got them in April. So now they are big girls and I was curious about why most feed comes in pellets or crumbles. Are pellets made for mature birds? I’m guessing I could continue with crumbles for ever. But it does beg the question as to why it comes in 2 styles.

Supposedly there is less waste with pellets vs crumbles.
We use crumbles but our feeders are 5 gallon buckets with modified 3” pvc 90’s inserted through the sides of the buckets. The chickens stick their head into the 3” pvc 90 and eat from the bottom of the bucket, since they can’t scratch at the feed, we have no waste using crumbles so we have no need to switch to pellets.

Are pellets made for mature birds?
Most Pelleted chicken feed is a Layer or All-Flock.

Layer feeds are for Pullets when laying commences, generally after 18 weeks old.
All-Flock Pellets can be fed to LF chickens around 10 weeks, but I would wait till 16 weeks, myself.
Both All-Flock and Layers feed come in Crumbles and Pellets.
The same brand and type, say like the basic Layena feed, comes in Pellet and Crumbles, it's the same formula. The Pellets are put through a roller and out comes Crumbles. I'm surprised Crumbles don't cost extra.

I did change over to Pellets with my first Flock when they started to lay.
I easily got them switched from Crumbles by tossing Pellets on dry ground with their Scratch Grain treat and mixing the Pellets and Crumbles for a week or two.

I do like the mini-pellets that are available in some feeds. I've read posts that say chickens and owners like them.

Like Mary, the feed I like come in Crumbles.

In the summer I give my Hens a wet mash and crumbles readily dissolve in cold water.
20200618_134804_resized_kindlephoto-4851370.jpg

GC

I’ve been feeding my golden comets crumbles since I got them in April. So now they are big girls and I was curious about why most feed comes in pellets or crumbles. Are pellets made for mature birds? I’m guessing I could continue with crumbles for ever. But it does beg the question as to why it comes in 2 styles.
Can you get a picture of your feed bag tag?

I prefer pellets because they waste less with the feeders I use. I just use hanging metal feeders and they have almost no waste with pellets, where with crumbles they always had a ton mixed in with bedding underneath. they pick the pellets out of the bedding no problem. I feed an all flock pellet since my flock is chickens, one guinea, and Muscovy ducks. They all eat the pellets and have no problem with them. The Muscovy actually can eat them at about 2 days old with no problem. Maybe my brand is technically a mini pellet, I have no idea since I have nothing to compare it with. I always recommend pellets to people because they waste so much less.

Most Pelleted chicken feed is a Layer or All-Flock.

Layer feeds are for Pullets when laying commences, generally after 18 weeks old.
All-Flock Pellets can be fed to LF chickens around 10 weeks, but I would wait till 16 weeks, myself.
Both All-Flock and Layers feed come in Crumbles and Pellets.
The same brand and type, say like the basic Layena feed, comes in Pellet and Crumbles, it's the same formula. The Pellets are put through a roller and out comes Crumbles. I'm surprised Crumbles don't cost extra.

I did change over to Pellets with my first Flock when they started to lay.
I easily got them switched from Crumbles by tossing Pellets on dry ground with their Scratch Grain treat and mixing the Pellets and Crumbles for a week or two.

I do like the mini-pellets that are available in some feeds. I've read posts that say chickens and owners like them.

Like Mary, the feed I like come in Crumbles.

In the summer I give my Hens a wet mash and crumbles readily dissolve in cold water.View attachment 2229825
GC
Omg!! This is a great way to get them to drink more water!!!! Good idea

I have used mash crumbles and pellets. In fact I'm usibg a combo of all 3 right now. I feed my whole flock grower since I have non laying birds. My local feed store has great feed but it only comes in a mash. Its a great feed that is made local. But they make a huge mess with the mash so I add crumbles to cut the mess.

Back
Top Bottom