Crumbles vs Pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crooked stripe, Apr 25, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    At what age - size do you change from crumbles to pellets and how often do you offer oyster shells? I have buff orps, black australorps and leghorns. I forgot to mention they are 16 weeks. John

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

The form of the feed isn't as important as the nutrient profile of the feed. The layer feeds I use and sell are crumblized and we get along very well.

Jim

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi John,

We started out feeding crumbles for our laying girls but switched to pellet as the ladies loved to bill-out the crumbles and make a huge mess. Since switching them over to pellets, we no longer have that problem. [​IMG]

We keep oyster shell available for them at all times, once they start laying. You can also give them egg shells for extra calcium. I rinse the shells, bake them at 250-300 for a few minutes, usually 15 minutes, unless I get side-tracked (to kill any bacteria). Then I crush them up beyond recognition and add them in with the oyster shell.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

4. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    When I bought my layer feed I tried to buy oyster shells but had to buy 50lbs. I though that would be way to much so I passed it up. The lady at the farm cooperative said as long as I was feeding Purina Mills Layina I didn't need them unless I was having some problems with the shells. True or false? John

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    My understanding is that "layer" feed has extra calcium in it already, which is why you only want to feed it to laying hens. Roosters and babies don't need the extra calcium, so if you have a mixture of ages/sexes, it's best to just get regular feed and have a hopper of oyster shell available for the hens. [​IMG]

6. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Quick question. I use layer feed by Purina, and my roo (Romeo) eats it, so do some of my younger pullets. Will this hurt them?

7. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

To date (30+ years of chickens) I've never seen any ill effects of them eating the feed!

8. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    my girls and boys had starter crumbles then grower crumbles then layer pellets without fuss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by