crushed beak

My duck got attacked by a raccoon and he messed up her eyes, neck and beak pretty bad. Not quite as bad as your pictures but pretty bad. I put ointment on her beak in the am and at night time to heal and it worked great. She is missing a part of the front but it has all healed up so far nicely. I had to feed her through a needle less syringe for almost 10 days. I would hold her at the back of her beak towards her neck point her head upwards and slightly stick in the syringe to feed her. Mostly at first I was just giving her vitamins (poly without iron) and baby food just for substance. Once she started drinking on her own I would give her smooshed up cooked eggs in water - soupy to give more substance. Then vet told me to take her layer pellets crush them and put them in water. She now eats totally normal full pellets not water soaked. It has taken almost 2 months to fully recover from her injuries and she is now blind. I kept her inside my bathtub for two weeks to make sure she was healed around the neck wounds so no maggots were able to get on her. Good luck in her recovery!

I am going to have a vet look at him who treats livestock. She's pretty sure she could get me some antibiotics for him. I am picking up pedalyte to give him. He is drinking water but not much.
Crossing my fingers! I will also call the feed store and see if they know someone. Thanks for that thought!!!

What kind of ointment did you use? Was it just an antibiotic ointment? I'm afraid to touch it, it looks so painful! I also have 10 ducks, down from 13 due to a raccoon also. My 8 yr old Muscovy roams around the yard freely and has outwitted fox, coyote, was in the mouth of a fisher cat and barn owls. My Indian runner's aren't that lucky!

Here is my Indian Runner with the crushed beak. :(
Poor baby, I think some Veterycin is in order, you can buy it at TSC and it's a spray will not burn and is very safe to use around the face can even spray it in their eyes if you need to, Wonderful stuff. That looks bad, hope you can get him to start eating or at least get some Poultry Nutri drench and add to his water till he feels like eating again. I think I'd also get some Penicillin to have because that looks like it could get infected. Maybe see if you can talk your vet into some metacam it's a safe pain med for our animals.

I would use some duramycin. Make sure it stays clean but don't use soap! You may have to get a baby syringe and feed it that way til it feels more comfortable opening it's beak. Believe me ducks are very hardy animals and should it survive all of this it will find a way to eat. Good luck!

What kind of ointment did you use? Was it just an antibiotic ointment? I'm afraid to touch it, it looks so painful! I also have 10 ducks, down from 13 due to a raccoon also. My 8 yr old Muscovy roams around the yard freely and has outwitted fox, coyote, was in the mouth of a fisher cat and barn owls. My Indian runner's aren't that lucky!
Your muscovy flies and runners dont that is the major difference! I used neosporin ointment from drug store - vet said it is perfect to use and cheaper - get the knock off version from cvs or walgreens. I asked for eye antibiotics and she told me just get a clean tube of neosporin and always wash my hands but it was virtually the same thing.

So very sorry.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom