Crushed chicks

geojane42

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Had a horrible surprise this morning when i went to feed the babies. There were 11 dead chicks on the floor. They had not been pecked but seem to have been trampled to death. When I checked on them again in the afternoon, there was another victim. They have plenty of room and it is definitely warm enough for them. They are 5 weeks old... all girls (sex links). I've never seen this happen before and I can't think of anything I can do to prevent it. Any insight into what might be going on?

How many chicks altogether? And how many feeders & waterers do you have for them? I've had trampling happen when there weren't enough waterers or enough space at the feeders for everyone at once.

It wasn't hot in there and I didn't see any evidence of cocci (man I hope that isn't it!). We had about 200 in a 10x8 space with 4 of the big plastic waterers and 6 or 7 feeders. Sold 25 on Saturday so now the numbers are down to about 163. I swapped out the plastic waterers for a giant galvanized one. No deaths yesterday, thank god. Just about to go check on them now so hopefully it was an isolated incident.

I've had some where the chicks die and then get trampled flat.
sad.png
I hope your losses are over. So sorry about them!

Back
Top Bottom