Crushed egg under broody - day 20

JoJoM

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I have a hen sitting on 8 Silkie eggs, day 20 as of about 4pm est. I just checked on her and one has hatched (she looks so confused about where the chirping is coming from) but one egg is pretty crushed. The membrane is still mostly intact and the chick is alive. I checked and there are still active veins in it. Should I just leave it or try bringing it into the incubator? My gut is telling me to leave it and check it in the morning...

I have a hen sitting on 8 Silkie eggs, day 20 as of about 4pm est. I just checked on her and one has hatched (she looks so confused about where the chirping is coming from) but one egg is pretty crushed. The membrane is still mostly intact and the chick is alive. I checked and there are still active veins in it. Should I just leave it or try bringing it into the incubator? My gut is telling me to leave it and check it in the morning...
I'd put it in the incubator so you can check it constantly, there's a channel on youtube a Chick named Albert and he assisted a chick birth, since the veins in the egg hadn't retracted he made sure the white "film" (don't know how it's called) didn't dry out and suffocated the chick (he used a fine soft brush to wet it, blew warm into it, until the chick was ready to break the egg shell). I did it once for an egg that hadn't hatched yet but had broken through it (the hen had left already with the other chicks in this case, so the chick would have frozen to death).

I left it and checked it this morning. It was hatched but very weak, but warm under momma. I had to go to work so I'm going to let nature run its course today and see how it's doing when I get home. If it hasn't perked up, I'll bring it in and see if it will take some electolyes. Thank you both for responding.

Little crushed egg chick made it! Momma hatched 7/8 silkie eggs. I just moved her to a brooder section so hopefully she knows what to do from here!

EBB75A38-3BDC-4899-91C5-A20C66655345.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom