Crusted-over Eye, Damaged Comb, and Lethargic Chick. Really need opinions and help. *pictures*

Pyxis-
I sure hope you check your emails before you head out in the am...  don't go to your vet- you'll get robbed!  Well, maybe this once since you don't have any on hand...
next time you need fix-up supplies for your birds, shop online at http://www.jefferslivestock.com    Jeffers sells many supplies for cheaper than you can get them elsewhere.  It's a lifesaver place for all my 'pets'!   I wanted to cry to see that poor baby.  Glad he/she has you to fix it up!
Jen P & the Pack learning chicken math...

Actually, someone who I've been keeping updated on the chick was nice enough to hand over a tube of erythromycin they had lying around, so the vet trip was unnecessary! Really nice guy. Luckily, on the off chance that I do end up having to get some from my vet, I know he won't try to rob me blind. He's really honest, and I've been going to him for years for my parrots. He also knows I'm in vet school (gonna specialize in birds, woo!) so that helps. He's also gonna let me shadow him soon, so I'll get all kinds of bird experience! I really like the guy. I wish all exotic and avian vets were as on the level and caring as he is.

That website does have tons of stuff. I think maybe I'll stock up now, in anticipation of future problems.

In other news, the chick is doing brilliantly. Really perky and happy. Its eye isn't gunking up as much. Still a bit swollen, though. Hoping that'll go down soon! As soon as it's all healed up, I'm going to try introducing him and the other bantam to the light brahma chicks and see if they can integrate nicely.

jumpy.gif
glad to hear peep is up & well! Do also get some terramycin or similar eye ointment- they protect against fungal infections also. I have even used it on myself when a rash of eye infections was going around the kennels (I worked at Animal Control) and of course, handling & treating all the dogs, I got it too! Go figure,,, Jeffers is a life saver!

Back
Top Bottom