Crusty eyes and ears??????

Sjohnson56

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2017
I have a female Millie Fleur D'uccle that has crusty eyes and ears. Came on very suddenly. I have wiped the crusty substance off of her eyes very gently with a warm wet cloth. See had sight problems as she was almost completely blind in one eye but she seems as though shes having problems with the other one now. Please help, I don't want to lose her.

I have a female Millie Fleur D'uccle that has crusty eyes and ears. Came on very suddenly. I have wiped the crusty substance off of her eyes very gently with a warm wet cloth. See had sight problems as she was almost completely blind in one eye but she seems as though shes having problems with the other one now. Please help, I don't want to lose her.
:jumpy :welcome :jumpy

She has no other symptoms than the matted eyes and ears. She's eating good and drinking good. Good fisting spirit. Wondering if she perhaps has a sinus problem maybe??

She has no other symptoms than the matted eyes and ears. She's eating good and drinking good. Good fisting spirit. Wondering if she perhaps has a sinus problem maybe??

Do you have any photos?

It's hard to know sometimes - crusty ears/eyes can be caused by a number of things - respiratory disease and fowl pox are a couple of things that come to mind.

General eye care is to flush the eyes with saline or sterile water, remove as much pus/crust/discharge that you can, then apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin to the eye. Flush/apply ointment a couple of times a day.

If she has crusts inside the ear, try to wipe that away the best you can. If the ear is filled with pus, then you can put 1 or 2 drops of Peroxide in the ear to help get some of the gunk out.

Depending on the cause of the discharge, antibiotics may help.

The yellow/white crust is the only visible symptom she had until today. She is starting to seem like she has a touch of vertigo and possible nasal congestion

Attachments

• IMG_20180213_105206736.jpg
    IMG_20180213_105206736.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 8
I have little experience with these kind of diseases, but she may have just caught a cold. (If she actually does have a cold, maybe you could continue cleaning her eyes, ears, etc. and keeping her somewhere warm.)

Just my two cents. Hope she feels better.

The yellow/white crust is the only visible symptom she had until today. She is starting to seem like she has a touch of vertigo and possible nasal congestion

Ensure that you coop has plenty of ventilation.

She may have a respiratory disease - Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza and ILT are fairly common and can present with similar symptoms. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Try flushing the eyes and using a ophthalmic ointment as described previously. You could also try an antibiotic like Tylan50 to see if that helps. Antibiotics will help with secondary infections associated with respiratory disease, but will not cure the bird nor eliminate the cause. Respiratory illnesses make birds (those sick and exposed) carriers of the illness for life. Injectable Tylan50 can be given orally or by injection at .20ml per 1pound of weight 2times a day for 5days. You will want to weigh her to give the correct dosage.

Not really sure where she would have picked it up from. She is an indoor pet and goes out into the backyard during the day to roam around. The only antibiotics I have on hand at the moment is metronidazole 50 mg from the vet from a previous chicken would this work? I have been applying eye salve twice since earlier today.

Back
Top Bottom