0E89D46A-624A-4DA2-844B-D4FC760CA1EC.jpeg
523819CE-A161-4B9C-8AB1-E06954CBFFF8.jpeg
171FB39B-7D07-4442-AE2E-705558197845.jpeg
FCC7E8C6-B3B0-4489-AC7A-80DD50E93CA1.jpeg
29B6DB66-9769-49E6-BA42-10C04DA43D86.jpeg
FFFE3B40-DAC6-48F3-848A-C5D5F8C23449.jpeg
7C32AF67-6CE5-4B5B-A4FA-E6E8B5A26326.jpeg
2EFF73AA-8435-4363-9CD2-99AF343217C1.jpeg
We have bantams and recently put pinless peepers on our roosters tonight we checked on them and noticed this crust on them and one has a knot on his waddles and some have black dots on their combs and one has a curl to her comb? We removed the peepers but I don’t know how to treat them. We have a coop that has a large run but it has rained here for this last month.I am not sure if it is sickness or problems with the peepers or environmental? Thank you.

Don't have advice to offer, but that little hen in the last pic looked just like my bantam, Bantam, that passed away. She is very, very cute :love I miss my girl

Hi Adelia! Welcome :frow

Your flock look lovely :)
Can you clarify please, are the black dots and nasal build up only present since you put on the peepers?
I have not used pinless peepers so I really am not experienced in why they may cause this, but I am sure someone with more experience will be along soon.
I would clean off the crusty buildup off the nostrils - some warm water I imagine will help soften it up. You can get a better look at the nostrils then to make sure no injury/swelling etc. As for the dots, they look like peck marks to me so I would think they will be fine. Perhaps a little antibacterial ointment on those to be sure?
Can I ask why you had to put peepers on the roosters? Were you having problems with them fighting?
I hope everything clears up soon!

@Eggcessive, @Wyorp Rock,
@casportpony

Could you please take a look at these photos?

@Adelia, hello and welcome to BYC.

Have the dynamics of your coop changed in the recent past, such as adding birds?

Or have you had any losses recently?

Do you know of any diseases in your flock such as Mareks?

The rooster with the crusty nose... how old is that guy?
are there any other things off about him?
Has he always been a member of your flock?

In your photos his pupils have a certain drippy look. Have they always looked this way?

That little floppy comb girl. ... oh she’s precious!
has she seemed well?

A comb can be an indicator of health and hydration but this time of year it could just be hormonal (seasonal).
I have a girl with a large jaunty comb but in winter when her laying season ends it shrinks in size by about 50%.

We have bantams and recently put pinless peepers on our roosters tonight we checked on them and noticed this crust on them and one has a knot on his waddles and some have black dots on their combs and one has a curl to her comb? We removed the peepers but I don’t know how to treat them. We have a coop that has a large run but it has rained here for this last month.I am not sure if it is sickness or problems with the peepers or environmental? Thank you
Hi @Adelia :frow Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your housing? How much space do you have?
How many chickens do you have?
You mention that they have a run, but it's been raining. Have they been staying inside the coop?
Good questions by the previous posters, if you can answer those, it would be much appreciated.
Did the roosters have mucous before you put on the pinless peepers?
Have you noticed any coughing/sneezing or watery eyes?

I do see blood in the nostril too - that could be from injury from the peepers. It would be good to clean the nostrils and look inside the beak to make sure there is no mucous, plaques or lesions. You can use a warm saline soaked compress to help loosen the mucous, gently remove as much as you can. You may have to do this a few times a day for several days.

The black dots on the combs look like they are from pecking. The curl of the hen's comb, I think that's just the way she is - some combs have a curve/curl or they flop over.

The eyes on the rooster. How long have they been like that? It would be good if @Eggcessive chimes in on this with her thoughts. It's hard to know if that is an eye defect or is caused by disease like Marek's.

Welcome to BYC. The chicken in pictures 2 and 3 seems to have in each eye, a coloboma, a defect in the in the iris that causes a keyhole look to the pupil. This defect can affect all species of birds, animals, and humans. My grandson has a coloboma in one eye. This defect is thought to be hereditary in chickens. Sometimes in Mareks disease, there can be an irregular pupil with a grey eye.

It just looks like dried nasal secretions, possibly due to the pinless peepers, but I would watch for signs of a respiratory infection, such as watery or bubbly eyes, nasal drainage, sneezing, or gasping. I have never used peepers, and am not aware if there is usually drainage associated with their use. Stress can cause respiratory diseases to suddenly show up.

The black peck marks on the combs and wattles may have been a reason for the peepers. Provide plenty of room to prevent strees and pecking. I would make sure there is good overhead ventilation without direct drafts in the coop even in winter weather, and to make sure the bedding is dry and without heavy ammonia odors which can help to cause respiratory problems.

Back
Top Bottom