Crusty skin on head and shoulders

rugbratmom

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 9, 2016
Willow is a black frizzled silkie mix, age around 28-30 weeks, weight is 1 pound 12 oz just a few ounces smaller than her sister but doesn't feel unhealthy thin.
Her head, neck, shoulders, and armpits (wingpits?) Are covered in white and yellow crusty dry skin.
I have only owned her for 18 days so I don't know how long she has been like this.
She is currently quarantined with her sister. They are always huddled together and it hasn't spread to the sister.
When they came to me they were crawling with lice and mites. They were treated with permethrin powder and then a week later with spinosad spray. Not sure if the dry skin is related to the mites or not.
Eating and drinking normally. Currently eating Nutrena Feather Fixer. Adding nutri drench to their mash once a week for a little vitamin boost. Not sure of her previous diet.
Poops are normal.
Assumed the crustiness was from the mites. Softened it daily with coconut oil and removed what I could with a soft brush. After a week there was no improvement so I wondered if it might me fungal. Treated for a few days with clotrimazole vaginal cream because I read that it was a antifungal that was safe to use on chickens. No improvement so I softened it back up with coconut oil again. Now I am trying Veterycin on it 3 times a day because it is supposed to be antimicrobial.
I did call to make Willow a vet appointment to have it looked at but there is only one vet around here who will see chickens and she is always completely booked. She seems so uncomfortable that I can't just do nothing until her appointment in 2 weeks.
I don't know about her previous living conditions but she is currently living on pine shavings with poop scooped daily and bedding changed every 3 days. Cleaning everything carefully to make sure we are not keeping any mite eggs.
If anyone has seen this before and treated it successfully I'd love some advice.
Photos of her face and neck and one of her neck covered in coconut oil.

Attachments

• 20210815_150656.jpg
    20210815_150656.jpg
    677.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210815_152422.jpg
    20210815_152422.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210815_152324.jpg
    20210815_152324.jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210815_150748.jpg
    20210815_150748.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210808_172116.jpg
    20210808_172116.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 38
Looks so much like fungal human dandruff. I wonder if dog dandruff shampoo could be used on a chicken? I have no idea.

Willow is a black frizzled silkie mix, age around 28-30 weeks, weight is 1 pound 12 oz just a few ounces smaller than her sister but doesn't feel unhealthy thin.
Her head, neck, shoulders, and armpits (wingpits?) Are covered in white and yellow crusty dry skin.
I have only owned her for 18 days so I don't know how long she has been like this.
She is currently quarantined with her sister. They are always huddled together and it hasn't spread to the sister.
When they came to me they were crawling with lice and mites. They were treated with permethrin powder and then a week later with spinosad spray. Not sure if the dry skin is related to the mites or not.
Eating and drinking normally. Currently eating Nutrena Feather Fixer. Adding nutri drench to their mash once a week for a little vitamin boost. Not sure of her previous diet.
Poops are normal.
Assumed the crustiness was from the mites. Softened it daily with coconut oil and removed what I could with a soft brush. After a week there was no improvement so I wondered if it might me fungal. Treated for a few days with clotrimazole vaginal cream because I read that it was a antifungal that was safe to use on chickens. No improvement so I softened it back up with coconut oil again. Now I am trying Veterycin on it 3 times a day because it is supposed to be antimicrobial.
I did call to make Willow a vet appointment to have it looked at but there is only one vet around here who will see chickens and she is always completely booked. She seems so uncomfortable that I can't just do nothing until her appointment in 2 weeks.
I don't know about her previous living conditions but she is currently living on pine shavings with poop scooped daily and bedding changed every 3 days. Cleaning everything carefully to make sure we are not keeping any mite eggs.
If anyone has seen this before and treated it successfully I'd love some advice.
Photos of her face and neck and one of her neck covered in coconut oil.
I've seen this a couple times now over the course of a few years on here (before I had joined). I think one woman was actually getting her bird tested at some state lab or something.

I don't think anything came of any of those threads though. It looks like it happens a lot in silkies. So odd. I hope you can figure it out and she gets better soon!

OMG! I think I am going to be able to cancel the vet appointment! The Veterycin is working miracles. I am convinced that it must be made if unicorn tears or something else magical. Her face, head, and neck are almost clear. Now she is only crusty under her wings and on her hips but even those spots are a hundred times better than last week! I was starting to wonder if we were ever going to see the other side of this skin problem and now there is real hope!

OMG! I think I am going to be able to cancel the vet appointment! The Veterycin is working miracles. I am convinced that it must be made if unicorn tears or something else magical. Her face, head, and neck are almost clear. Now she is only crusty under her wings and on her hips but even those spots are a hundred times better than last week! I was starting to wonder if we were ever going to see the other side of this skin problem and now there is real hope!
Hi there! I currently have a 5 month old silkie going through the exact same thing!! I've tried everything and nothing has worked. Is this veterycin a spray or cream and where can I get it?

Hi there! I currently have a 5 month old silkie going through the exact same thing!! I've tried everything and nothing has worked. Is this veterycin a spray or cream and where can I get it?
Can you post picture of your chickens skin problem? You can always start a new thread of your own as well. Vetericyn is a wound spray. Nothing in it would treat a fungus such as favus.

Can you post picture of your chickens skin problem? You can always start a new thread of your own as well. Vetericyn is a wound spray. Nothing in it would treat a fungus such as favus.
This is her head. Her ears keep filling up with this crust as well and I keep cleaning them daily then applying an antiseptic cream. It goes down her neck, back, under wings, and chest area. I had her on antibiotics, I gave her a bath with oatmeal and apple cider vinegar l, I've appkies a fungal cream, I've applied a pesticide cream and nothing is helping its been 2 weeks now.

Attachments

• 20240427_214954.jpg
    20240427_214954.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom