crying chick - breathing problems, possibly respiratory?

apowell

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 1, 2012
Olympia, Washington
The silkies were out free ranging today when I found this little guy sitting off by itself making an uncomfortable sound. I brought it in and it has just kept up with the crying - sounds a little like a strangled crow. No obvious injuries.

It's about two months old and hasn't really thrived, much smaller than its hatch-mates.

Any ideas? Brought it in and gave some anti-biotic and sugar water with a syringe. It will drink when I put drops in its beak, but not interested in food, treats or water on its own. Crop feels mostly empty.

since he will take liquid, make a broth of the crumbles that will get some nutrition into him, i would hold off on antibiotics until you pin down whats going on, is he needing to be held? sometimes the smaller ones need that

No, it is distressed rather than lonely. After sitting here watching it for an hour, I think it is having problems breathing and actually gasping for air. Poor little guy does not look good.

Sounds just like our 12 week old chicken that we are quite sure has a parasite worm. There is a deworming for it and you put it in the little opening on roof of mouth (cleft). We are looking into best product to use. It helped our when we separated her from flock so she started to eat and drink more. Her energy is better, but still needs meds. I hope that helps.

Well, it spent the night inside under a heat lamp - still alive this morning which I wasn't really expecting .... No pooping, still will not eat or drink on its own. I did get another dropper of antibiotic and sugar water down. Not worse, maybe a tiny bit better - still making the motion of extending its neck and 'gasping', but isn't making the crying sound with each gasp. Actually not sure if that is better, or just exhausted.

Checked its throat - no obstructions or worms we can see.

Back
Top Bottom