Crying... everything is dead. UPDATE POST #54

Clearly you have a sick person in your area.

I would make fliers and post them in any store window you can.

I would visit the schools and speak to the principal about this. Certainly someone is in need of mental help. This is how serial killers begin, starting with animals and then graduating to humans.

I would mail letters of concern to every neighbor and let them know that there is a mentally sick person in your area and to watch their small children. Use the term mentally ill, don't be afraid.

No dog did this. We once has teenager kill Swans at the local park. People were outraged but his father was not so much. I would also warn them you will shoot to kill if anyone is found on your property.

By all means pad lock the door and set up a camera. Perhaps you can rent one or borrow one.

I wish you the best,

Rancher

Quote:
Totally weird.

The hole was big enough for me to climb through and was pretty neat. No slobber, blood or fur around it too. Wire ends snipped or very clean.

Ok, that's what I was wondering. Where my dog broke in, you could totally tell it was a varmit. Man! That would make me so mad. It makes me mad for you!

The police wanted to know if we had problems with the neighbours. As far as I know, we don't have any problems with anyone! No one has ever complained to us and we have never complained to anyone else. Our dogs don't roam the area, our cats stay in the yard, we keep our area neat and pick up trash on the roads.

I wish it wasn't a person. It would be easier to handle if it was just a dog or raccoon. My kids are so disturbed by this. My three year old was crying tonight about her Silkie
sad.png

There are local kids who ride ATVs (which are illegal on the roads) and there have been a few break-ins recently. Who knows. It frickin sucks. And my birds still won't come down off the roost except to eat and drink.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It is upsetting that a person cut the fencing.

I know someone who has a bunch of guinea keets for sale, for when you are ready to try to reestablish your flock. I would assume that you will probably want to wait until you figure out what is going on, so that this doesn't happen again.

Last edited:
This is my biggest fear! I have spent unbelievable amounts of time trying to secure the coop and runs here to prevent an attack but the thought of finding any of my flock hurt or dead is a constant worry!

Quote:
I agree..... anyone who threatens to turn my babies into nuggets is in for the run and dodge of a lifetime.

I notice that a lot of members have guns and advocated their use to protect their flock and families - I hope these same people realize that certain politicians want to take their guns away from them or severly restrict them - so hopefully when they vote they favor those politicans who support the Second Amendment - because without our right to have guns we won't be able to handle a lot predator problems - JoePa - an NRA member

Quote:
Actually, in Texas, it is the owner of the animal that has the responsibility to keep that animal on the property, not the property owner's responsibility to keep animals off. It's an old livestock law that has been on the books for ages. If the animal in question can be owned, be it a cat, dog, chicken, buffalo, etc., the owner of that animal has the duty to keep it under control on their property. That's the basis behind leash laws. The same applies to cattle and chickens. If they make it to a road and someone hits them and does damage to their vehicle, you get to repair or buy them a new vehicle [...] If that animal is a two legged predator, you have the right to shoot that two-legged predator to protect your property. Many states have the "deadly force to save a life" law, Texas has the "deadly force to protect life and property" law. So if I was to come home and find two dogs and a drunk making dinner with a chicken within my unfenced property, I can unload my 12 gauge on all three.

well, i doubt you can go quite that far even in states that have castle doctrine laws but i certainly agree with chinchilla that the responsability lies with the animal owner, that tends to be the law in most states and countries (though exception is often made for cats). dogs in particular present a public health and safety problem that almost everywhere requires their owners to prevent them from running free and very often to keep them on a leash when they are out with them.

Quote:
Quote:
i think that's a bit naive, but i was naive enough to think that the owners of this dog would be upset about what happened themselves and that flyers even without a reward (but with some stark images of the damage) would convince your neighbors to control their dogs better. obviously there's someone who would get a tickle out of your flyers... but people as sick as that are fortunately few; the neighborhood in general will be on your side and the more awareness you can generate about this the better.

Quote:
the police have a lot to do that they very understandably find more important than your chickens. but animal control officers will take the issue much more to heart. you really need to focus on working with them. dogs chasing kids around and killing your chicken (repeatedly) is a real problem, and not just for you. don't let this drop; in the end the whole street will benefit from your diligence.

Back
Top Bottom