CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are..........Karen quoted an old writing by Broomhead. His writing has nothing to do with the APA SOP. Weights are: C/9lbs,K/7.5lbs, H/7lbs and P/6lbs.

Walt
Thanks Walt... I tend to be a little to literal and the word "Standard" only has one application in my life anymore! LOL..

So why did Broomhead expect the Sussex to be so much smaller?

Thank you Walt. In my initial post I accidently posted the 6 lb.Pullet weight as the Hen weight. On page 7 of his easy on the Light Sussex, Broomhead has just finished discussing size of the birds. Comparing them to the Orpington. He writes, "As to "size", in my opinion too much importance is given to this matter in the Standard. Admittedly, one does not desire to see Sussex fowls-- which belong to the general purpose class-- resembling the light or non-sitting breeds; but it is somewhat rare to find a 7lb. hen, no matter what breed, ranking high as a layer." Granted, this was written 90 years ago. We've come a long way since then.
Best,
Karen

hello

this hen (i hate that photo only one of her ive got though(my camera broke)) she hasnt actually got a pinched tail i got my grandad to check (i got him to check all my birds) and he said no. However i can see how this photo makes it look like that:)

Quote:
PS on the egg laying song/squawking and carrying on like the world is at end. LOL I have read this is trait brought forth into the chickens doings as it goes back to the wild fowl and such they would go off and lay there egg(s) and in the meantime the rest of the flock would meander off out of sight and hearing distance so when the hen would lay the egg and send out the (call) the cockbird of the flock is supposed to answer this and alert her as to where/which way to head towards to catch back up to the flock? sounds good to me, makes sense too, well with the exception of telling the fox or the snake where she and the eggs are located too?
hmm.png
This is very interesting. My hens call if another hen is on the nest! Drives me crazy... and ALL of my boys answer her! What a ruckus!

I've wondered about it, how on earth did chickens ever survive if they advertise where they are so often?

Also, during the passage through the egg tube, that egg turns end for end from what I understand. I think that this may be, at least in part, a cause of some of the pre-egg screaming that I hear from my daughter's birds. Wow, do they ever carry on!
The tumbling is the yolk and the addition of the whites. NOt the egg with the shell on. THat is the last step and the longest(23 hrs) and is right before pushing it out.

My girls scatter all over the woods, the 6 hens can be some 150 feet apart and cannot see each other due to the underbrush. Poor rooster can't cover everyone. But in general they are all quiet and rarely talk. THey are in the section mostly likely to be hit by raiding coyotes. We are putting up more fencing to help the coyote stay out and go around.

hello

this hen (i hate that photo only one of her ive got though(my camera broke)) she hasnt actually got a pinched tail i got my grandad to check (i got him to check all my birds) and he said no. However i can see how this photo makes it look like that:)

I'm sorry, but it is a pinched tail. I can tell that by the way the bird is built.

Walt

Thank you fowlman, I will try to take photos of my birds thus far tomorrow. The pullet will be from awhile ago as she is broody at the moment. I appreciate your thoughts on them.

Thanks Karen for mentioning over on the Sussex thread that Sussex were being discussed. I would like to post a few photos of my birds if that's alright. They will be photos I've already taken as my birds are not in good feather at the moment. These photos by no means will be birds in show condition, but hopefully will be passable enough to tell what's going on with the birds. These are a long term project for me, so am working hard on improvements to them, so seeing a second set of eyes would be great.
This is my light sussex male

I should mention this male is no longer here as he has a sprig at the back of his comb. I have another that I could never tell apart from this one. Hopefully they will get in better feather very soon and can get photos of the roo I did hold back. I'm mostly curious about the type and etc and if I'm heading in the right direction.

Last edited:
What lovely close feathering on this bird, Galvina. It's a pleasure to view. Real nice definition of the thighs as regards plumage.
I can't wait to see what Walt has to say.
Best,
Karen

Thanks Karen, I've been working on them for about 4 years with lots of ups and downs, but having never raised the Sussex before, I've been happy with how they are changing thru each season of hatching and culling and etc. Here is one of my hens from the breeder group at a couple of different stages of her growth. The main thing that I'd like to iron out are the combs and reduce the variances there.

she is the one on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom