CT Chicken Fest Cancelled b/c State does not want us to have one

Beth G.

Gaetano Family Farm
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
New Haven County Connecticut
Hello Everyone, *******EDITED 6-29-11 ********

As you know Connecticut lacks in the Chicken get togethers.....
smile.png

So, I am proposing a brand new Chicken Stock in Connecticut:

I talked to my towns Park and Rec department yesterday. I can rent space at a gorgeous Lake for $30.00 and hour on a Saturday in Sept. 24th Or if the Health Dept and Dept of Ag agrees. The Name of the Park is Bethanys Veterans Memorial Park. Located on Route 42 in Bethany, CT 06524.

All birds coming to this event will need to be tested recent with a negative S. Pullorum and Avian In. Test. The Test Paperwork must produced prior to coming and your birds will be monitored to make sure the bands match the test. Town of Bethany is a very Ag friendly town but, folks here get nervous about a bunch of strange birds, livestock, etc.... coming to town unless they healthy and clear of disease
smile.png
Hope you all can appreciate that and I think most will agree its best for all to know the person next to you selling or the birds you are buying are healthy
wink.png

After talking to a couple of other BYC'rs we have decided the following:

1) People coming to sell will have to fill out a form and submit with a $10.00 spot fee, and a negative test paperwork dated after July 2011.
2) We will be hosting a auction to help raise money for next year and if we do not make enough to pay for the space this year.
3) We would like to do a Potluck, When we get closer to the date we can start a list on here who would like to contribute and what they want to bring
wink.png

4) We are looking for sponsors
smile.png
If we can find some sponsors we may not have to charge a spot fee.
5)I'm going to talk to my Park and Rec dept to see how much more it would be to rent the pavillion incase it rains.
6) One BYC'r has expressed interest in making T-Shirts advertising the event.
7) Once I get approval from my town, health dept, and dept of Ag, I'd like to get together with anyone interested in helping out in planning the event. I'm guessing June would be a good month. That way we have 3 months to plan.
8) Any more input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to need commitment from other people and some help.

Is anyone in state of out of state interested?

Lets get this thread/interest going!!!! Please
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Thanks,
Beth

Let chat on here!!

Thanks,
Beth

Last edited:
Hey Beth,

I am interested. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I do think that no matter where it takes place, all birds should show proof of being negative for AI & S. Pullorum. You only mentioned if it was at the Bethany site, they would need to show proof.

Way to go Beth! Come September I'll be in class every Saturday so I won't be able to join in on that one, but I'll be pulling for you all to have a great get-together!
yippiechickie.gif

woot.gif
Very exciting! I think Autumn is a great time to do it! That would give us a lot more time to plan and round up sponsors and vendors too.

It would be an amazing opportunity to double-up with the Harvest Festival at the airport. It would be great to expose people who otherwise would not go to a Chickenfest to the event and maybe encourage more folks to consider backyard chicken keeping!

I'm willing to help in any way I can. Let's do it!

Quote:
Daphne thanks any help would be great! I have another BYC'r coming to visit on Monday during the day to talk chicken and chat about the planning of the festival. Your more than welcome to come if your not busy! Send me a pm if interested I have many baby ducklings to play w too!!
wink.png

little blue an i are in we will help with anything you need.i think the one in june is going to be a no go someone called an complained to the state an we will not have time to cut threw all the red tape in a month.sucks when people cant keep there mouth shut.we will def help out in the fall one beth we will have all our lavs to sell of for the new ones.
smile.png
great work beth debbie was so bumed when about our june one.we may have some blueslates to sell 2

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom