Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Current flock consists of the mature white cock cubalaya, 3 young cuba cockerels, 2 mature cubalaya hens, 9 young cubalaya pullets, and 3 layers (RIR, cuckoo Marans, and Marans/cuba cross)

That should be 18 birds

You have enough cubalayas to end up with a large amount of young in 2013 if you so desire. That white pullet looks nice.

i think it is white. we have some cubalayas; cocks: black, white , bb red, brown red , gold duckwing - stags: gold duckwing, black, bb red - hens: 3 blacks, 3 brown reds, 2 whites, 2 wheatons, 2 wild type wheaton, 1 silver wheaton---21 cubalayas total. that is enough to carry through the winter but i did lose 2 hens and a stag and i gave away a trio of whites.

Ok. I just don't know what a BBR cubalaya is supposed to look like at this stage, so I am was wondering if their color is about right. Not that it is really important now that I have some good birds (ordered these chick before I know that I was going to get some real birds), but since no one seems to know where Welp got their breeding stock from, it might be a pleasant surprise if their chicks are not the garbage that Ideal tries to pass off as bbr cubalayas. So far the chicks seem good. A couple died within 24 hours after I got them, one within two days and one about four days later. The one that died later, I probably killed trying to save it. It had a ton of egg shells embedded in it's abdomen where the yolk sack had dried. It was not doing well so I tried to remove the eggs shells by gently rubbing the area with warm water. That dried yolk sack was like concrete and it took like two hours to get it clean, and I think it was just too much for the little chick. The rest seem strong, perfectly developed and vigorous. There is only one chick that is smaller then the others.
At the age they are now a Cubalaya is just butt-ugly and remains so for a good while to come.
big_smile.png

OMG, my friend who took the orphan chick in July has posted a picture and I KEPT THE WRONG CHICK! I really didn't have a choice - he hatched after the broody left the nest, and the 2nd time I tried to get him adopted by the hen she tried to kill him. So I gave a close friend this guy and a white female chick, along with a small brooder and supplies. Cubalaya, this is one of those black/red watchamacallit sports from the white on white mating right?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...03732716766.2017878.1330185680&type=1&theater

The good news is she is willing to loan him back as soon as I get my pens finished. Other than inheriting his daddy's oversize comb, this is more like it right?

At the age they are now a Cubalaya is just butt-ugly and remains so for a good while to come.
big_smile.png

Can't argue with that. LOL! If everyone is right about the coloring, it looks like I will have more cockerels then pullets.

On a different subject. These little chicks eat an amazing amount of food compared to my AGs. They also use a lot of water. I am having a problem with them draining their waterer. I am not sure how they are doing it because they won't do it while I am watching them, but they somehow drain the water out of the waterer. I have a catch pan under their brooder and it is full of water every time I check them and the their waterer is empty. At first I had a one quart waterer in with them and it was always dry. I cover the catch pan with newspaper so and it absorbed the water so I did not notice what they were doing until I put a one gallon waterer in with them. I put it in brooder in the morning and came back in the afternoon and it was dry too. I raised over 100 AG chicks in this brooder this summer and never had this problem. Not sure how they are doing it, but I would sure like to find a way to prevent it.

Not sure how they are doing it, but I would sure like to find a way to prevent it.

Time to turn the game/predator cam to look INSIDE
big_smile.png

How is the waterer "presented"? Sitting on the ground or hanging? Maybe they are like my daughter's dumb *** (but VERY fun and cute
big_smile.png
) cat. He likes to push the water dish around and slop the water all over the place. We had to put a dish under it so the water had somewhere to go other than the floor.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom