Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cubalaya, Jun 1, 2010.

1. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Current flock consists of the mature white cock cubalaya, 3 young cuba cockerels, 2 mature cubalaya hens, 9 young cubalaya pullets, and 3 layers (RIR, cuckoo Marans, and Marans/cuba cross)

That should be 18 birds [​IMG]

2. troyer

troyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    You have enough cubalayas to end up with a large amount of young in 2013 if you so desire. That white pullet looks nice.

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Do Cubalayas have white skin? Or?

4. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Yes white

5. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i think it is white. we have some cubalayas; cocks: black, white , bb red, brown red , gold duckwing - stags: gold duckwing, black, bb red - hens: 3 blacks, 3 brown reds, 2 whites, 2 wheatons, 2 wild type wheaton, 1 silver wheaton---21 cubalayas total. that is enough to carry through the winter but i did lose 2 hens and a stag and i gave away a trio of whites.

6. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    At the age they are now a Cubalaya is just butt-ugly and remains so for a good while to come.[​IMG]

7. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    OMG, my friend who took the orphan chick in July has posted a picture and I KEPT THE WRONG CHICK! I really didn't have a choice - he hatched after the broody left the nest, and the 2nd time I tried to get him adopted by the hen she tried to kill him. So I gave a close friend this guy and a white female chick, along with a small brooder and supplies. Cubalaya, this is one of those black/red watchamacallit sports from the white on white mating right?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...03732716766.2017878.1330185680&type=1&theater

The good news is she is willing to loan him back as soon as I get my pens finished. Other than inheriting his daddy's oversize comb, this is more like it right?

8. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop

Can't argue with that. LOL! If everyone is right about the coloring, it looks like I will have more cockerels then pullets.

On a different subject. These little chicks eat an amazing amount of food compared to my AGs. They also use a lot of water. I am having a problem with them draining their waterer. I am not sure how they are doing it because they won't do it while I am watching them, but they somehow drain the water out of the waterer. I have a catch pan under their brooder and it is full of water every time I check them and the their waterer is empty. At first I had a one quart waterer in with them and it was always dry. I cover the catch pan with newspaper so and it absorbed the water so I did not notice what they were doing until I put a one gallon waterer in with them. I put it in brooder in the morning and came back in the afternoon and it was dry too. I raised over 100 AG chicks in this brooder this summer and never had this problem. Not sure how they are doing it, but I would sure like to find a way to prevent it.

9. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Time to turn the game/predator cam to look INSIDE [​IMG]

How is the waterer "presented"? Sitting on the ground or hanging? Maybe they are like my daughter's dumb *** (but VERY fun and cute [​IMG]) cat. He likes to push the water dish around and slop the water all over the place. We had to put a dish under it so the water had somewhere to go other than the floor.

Bruce

10. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    I have tried three type of waterers, hanging and setting types. Does not matter, they drain it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by