Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

We have a decent showing of wheaten Cubalaya here in Michigan. There are no other breeders of blacks or whites here. There is someone that's interested in several pairs, so I'll get them started this spring with whites and blacks in bantam. They are very interested in showing them.

Standard full brother cockerels, both are multi-spur. The smallest one is the best combwise, but the floppy comb cockerel I like a lot otherwise. Floppy is a bit slower in maturing and except for the floppy comb will likely turn out with better type at three years old than the smaller one. This is an example of choosing which one will be the best long term breeder. I will be breeding at least one of them because of the family genetics that I need in order to keep a closed flock for the next 10-15 years. There is also a possibility that I won't breed from them this year, but keep them and let them mature further. Theoretically it would make sense to breed from the smaller one because he appears at this point to be a better choice overall now.
IMG_8603.JPG

Standard full brother cockerels, both are multi-spur. The smallest one is the best combwise, but the floppy comb cockerel I like a lot otherwise. Floppy is a bit slower in maturing and except for the floppy comb will likely turn out with better type at three years old than the smaller one. This is an example of choosing which one will be the best long term breeder. I will be breeding at least one of them because of the family genetics that I need in order to keep a closed flock for the next 10-15 years. There is also a possibility that I won't breed from them this year, but keep them and let them mature further. Theoretically it would make sense to breed from the smaller one because he appears at this point to be a better choice overall now.View attachment 3400269
Why the closed flock?

So no black feathers?
There are a few. Doc told me that putting blacks through a white line will clear up the black feathers in the whites and make them cleaner whites. We'll see, I have several super clean white hens that I'll breed the white cockerel too. I have two of these that look almost identical. This year I'm planning on breeding black to black and white to white. No more breeding the black and white lines together.

Back
Top Bottom