Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Pics
Y'all say they are fair as layers, how do you find the eggs?

They sure would love roaming our woods, but it would be nice to get an egg now and again.

wood&feathers-

To be safe, poultry need a secure place for the night. It's fairly easy to get chickens to return to the same roost each night, automatically. Just keep them locked in a pen for a week or so, and, when let out, they will return each night. Most of the time..
wink.png
I've never had a large fowl chicken( yet) hide an egg or a nest off away from their house. The bantams are always laying eggs in some obscure spot, but, I have been fortunate to not have to fight the large/standard size birds in this regard. So, the eggs are NOT hard to find. They are in the nest boxes!!

They are pretty decent layers, I have not had any young hens for a full year, our one young hen got killed by a stupid sheep 2 years ago, and last year ,I only hatched cockerels...This year, is the first year I will have several young pullets/hens to really watch the rate of lay. That being said, my older hens, which are roughly 4-5 years old at least, laid about 50-70 eggs this past cycle, and, they each were broody once, and raising chicks for a good chunk of time. For birds that old, I think that is a fine rate of lay.

Glad to hear it. Yes, I already have a coop and run, plus materials to build another whenever the snow melts. I am envisioning something with more vertical space though, perhaps with an old broken- topped cedar tree for a centerpiece. Trim out the undersized or sharp-ended branches and leave good perches up to 18' or so? Surround with rafters to support wire or roof metal. Would 3 or 4' be a good height for the nest boxes?

The nest boxes can be whatever height suits you that the birds can reach. Mine are at 18 inches above ground, well, the bottom starts there, but ,I only chose that height to make it easy for the larger breeds to reach them with clipped wings .They could be higher for a lighter breed easily.

Quote:
They cross with games real well. Gives a lot of length in the tail, lengthens the back and neck, and tightens up the comb. I don't have any photos though, the weather has been not good for picture taking lately.

Quote:
They cross with games real well. Gives a lot of length in the tail, lengthens the back and neck, and tightens up the comb. I don't have any photos though, the weather has been not good for picture taking lately.

Same here. Too wet.

I just realized I've never taken pics of any of my games. Well one of Romeo, but can't find it and I lost him.

I have 3 wheaten hens that are larger than my others, but I have no idea what the colors are concidered. One is a very dark laced feathered one with a lighter neck. Wonder what the offsprng would look like.

I need to get them a roo, so it'd either going to be a Cuba or Sumatra. I'm leaning towards the Cuba for more color.

I'd settle for some eggs or chicks, but does anyone have a roo near me they need to rehome?

OMG here I go with more roos.

Back
Top Bottom