Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Just to understand what we are considering, what is the estimated cost of importing a trio of quality German birds?? And an idea to kick around, would it be easier to offer shares instead of trying to get a set number of people? It might be easier to sell 10 shares than it would be to get 10 breeders interested in chipping in?? Them folks in California might want 5 shares, then you only need to find 5 more regular folks.
big_smile.png
........stan

Mr. Horst Schmudde imported his line of Cubalaya into Germany in 1981. The Schmudde line is now the Brush line. The Germans have since then graded in Satsumadori, Shamo, Sumatra, Araucana, and Sachsenhuhn. Their birds are larger, and just much more beefy looking with great heads. The lobster tails are fantastic, few American birds anymore have the fully correct lobster tail. Zach is correct that the tails seem to be short overall. It's very noticeable in some of the females in particular. I attribute this to the fact they have out crossed generally to shorter tailed, larger breeds, and it does show. I think our USA birds have some longtail and or game added at various points. So we have the long flowing tails, but more delicate, small birds. Ideally it would be nice to have the elegant tail with large size, good heads, and good vigor!!!

I don't know about importing chickens from Europe, but I know that when you import a parrot from South America it has to go into quarantine for a year. This is the biggest expense because you have to pay for this time in quarantine. It can run into the thousands. International transport of birds, especially chickens is looked at with great concern because chickens are a huge industry in the US. I can't remember the details, but it seems like I remember a case that happened in the early 1900s where a parrot brought in a disease that kill off the chickens in an entire State (can't remember the state's name). So it is a very serious matter.

If everybody thinks it is a good idea to bring in this German blood, then I would like to suggest we form a legal organization. We could call it the, Cubalaya Club of America or the, Cabalaya Breeders Association. Doing so, would not only make people a lot more comfortable with investing in the Cubalaya breed , but it would also make it a lot more likely that the US government would issue the importation permits to do this. Basically, the government (and others) will take a legal organization more serious then an individual. Plus, it would be a central repository of information about the Cubalaya and make it easier to track the breeds progress. I know I would join.

horst schmudde added shamo blood to the cubalaya. this is what went to germany? some of us are adding asil and thai for new blood. others are adding other things. the cubalaya traits seem to be dominant. i don't see the need for the german blood.

I would have to disagree with you on this all the asil blood has done is ruin the lobster tail, as well as the phoenix crosses of craig russel and randy stoneback, although it opened up a new color door without some new blood that has a real lobster tail and size as most of the german birds have we are going to get nowhere. Spoke with 2 other members today about this subject with great concern as well as my uncle Paul Bender and Most of us agree new Real Blood is absolutely necessary. I am willing to put in a fair amount of money as this breed runs deep in my blood since 1985.

The Group Idea does sound kind of good although I do not know much on the polotics of it all could we not call this club a business and get grants???

I grew up around this breed as did my uncle Paul and its seems that most of the new folks have actually never been able to see a real untouched bloodline They are not supposed to have Long tails at all, it should be short round knot ball of a tail not long like a phoenix. The reason the cubalayas mostly now have this is because of Craig Russel and Randy Stoneback Breeding golden phoenix and white yokohamas into them, Have you all noticed something with the whites their tail feathers are very Thin??? Yes there are many questions with no real answers but without taking a risk, its just an idea for now foot work has to be done official keepers need be elected?? Yes??

Back
Top Bottom