Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Pics
The Finch strain seems to be the smallest. I think some of the other strains have suffered from being inbred too closely. However, some of the other strains are also based on the Finch strain.

Finch Strain (base)
Horst Schmudde added Shamo and bred to type
Bayliss birds came from Schmudde
Brush birds came from Bayliss

Quote:
I'm there and added the White Faced Black Spanish to the list of ancient breeds.
big_smile.png
Brian's book is still not being offered even on Amazon at give away prices. If we knew that it could be safely mailed might like to take you up on your offer to borrow.

There will be no problem with mailing it. Send me your current address to my email. Not at work today or tomorrow but by Wednesday I should be in and I'll send it to you.

Quote:
Dale Rice has been mentioned as having had Cubalayas that were well regarded by other good chicken men. I knew of him for his Sumatra and Hamburgs but knew nothing of the Cubalaya. Craig Russel might know plenty about them but I would suspect just because of geography if nothing else that his were also a scion of the Finch strain. Craig may even have stock that he could say goes back at least in part to Dale Rice stuff. [email protected]

I think you are most likely correct.

It seems to me that the strains that have been considered some of the 'best' of the past all had the Finch strain as their base.

What was the base of John's strain? Was it Harrys? I don't even recall if you ever told me. Though I will tell you that I have every single word you have ever written me on Cubalayas.

Quote:
YIKES! That's one full blown introduction. Now that I'm over my shock and have figured out who we're talking to here I guess I'd better introduce myself. I'm Dave Kozakiewicz and I'm from the north - Michigan. I first became well acquainted with the Cubalayas through Linda Bayliss and her stock which was very densely linebred from the birds she obtained directly from Horst Schmudde. Amongst other things she had the brightest, most fire colored cocks I have ever seen. I also knew the late John Castagnetti and his birds. John was a marvelous human being who loved his birds as well as his fellow man. His were another line; the old Harry Adriance birds from Massachusetts which were of the Finch line and type. He'd also introduced golden duckwing through birds from Danny Padgett which typewise fit right in though I've no idea the breeding. A friend had had wheatons from Danny though that were different than these duckwings. I've only handled two birds bred by Sam Brush but there were tight connections to the Bayliss stock. The two I handled were both cocks and were like the bird posted by Saladin. At present we have no chickens though thoughts of once again living with Cubalayas are never far away. This is a really neat breed.

Thank you for joining our discussion, Dave! I look forward to learning from you're cache of knowledge.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I have two pair direct from Jim Zook's stock, one pair I hatched out of shipped eggs and the other I bought as started stock. They are the gold wheaten/gold duckwing variety.

Give me a few days and I'll see if I can't get some weight measurments on them. I'll get some photos too, if I can get home before dark and the weather holds.

i have a question for davek. if glenn drowns got his cubalayas from craig russell, then what strain are they? bb red, red pyle, brown red, white?

I can answer that one fast than dave can, I think. Craig has kept a variety of strains over the years, but most Rice and Lentz birds. Several years back he gave me the Castiginetti birds he had; they were very very small because he had not bred enough of them to keep up size.

Back
Top Bottom