Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Pics
The two cock birds shown have, for my eye, the sort of beak we want to see on these guys. And the girls too. That short, boxy finch like beak just helps visually finish off the head and face, as though it adds expression to the birds. I don't know if there's a WHY to this being the desired beak except for appearances sake. Have never seen or heard of legs like that on Cubalaya. When my wife had black Cochins yellow leg color wasn't the best trait in her major family line. There was some infusion of good leg color from a second family and some, including pures from the lesser leg color folks, came with a sort of mottled appearance. That's as close to these legs as I have gotten.

In regard to numbers. As many as can be well raised and still keep it fun is a great answer but not specific. And there may not be a specific answer. If a family is of high average quality, reproducing the same and with enough of what I call positive variation to allow for fine tuning and modifications huge numbers may not be needed. If trying to pioneer or ressurect something then as many as possible from as many different matings and combinations as possible is usually the way to go. Even just a couple of foundation males can be bounced around amongst the the hens who can be in pairs or very small groups. Main thing is maximize the number of different genetic linkups that may move one's project in the desired direction. Just a few birds can still be used a lot of different ways. Chickens are pretty cooperative if we have the number of pens needed.

Thanks DaveK!!
thumbsup.gif

Cuban Longtails- Hmm, now that you mention it, I have seen a connection with the blue legs and pullets, vs. White legs/stags, in some of the crosses I have done. No idea what that is about, I always thought white legs were dominant, but, it seems maybe not totally? As far as the beaks getting longer, you are correct it's to be watched for! The guy I originally got my birds from told me that very specifically, he seemed to feel that the beaks getting longer on him was a problem worth telling me to watch for. I was told to watch for long beaks, green eyes, blue legs, and small size, and to select against those things if possible as I went forward.

Last edited:
Awesome posts and great pictures: this is, to me, one of the best ways to learn: by seeing and then seeking others comments. I really appreciate all this because I'm still learning too, at least I hope I am.

So, let's make a list of traits that we all really look for in an overall good brood cock or hen:
(Here's what I've put together so far by way of summary).

Height
Weight
Double tail (called Shrimp tail in the US, Lobster tail in Cuba: I prefer Lobster, it just sounds bigger to me!)
Good head
Short, stout beak (Dave called it a Finch beak, I've also heard it called a Parakeet beak)

All these things have to do with Type which I think is way more important than color.

With that said, let me tell you what I've noticed:

Birds that originated out of the Schmudde strain tend to throw cocks that have solid colored hackles. The Standard says it should shade to golden. Birds from the Castignetti, Courson, Rice and Finch strains do tend to shade to golden.

18815_dscf0031.jpg

6 month old stag and pullet. they are big for their age. just ignore the 2 in the front. it was a shame that they shut your thread down, saladin

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually, my own experience with the Castagnetti birds, both breeding them and seeing them at John's, was that he had dark, richly colored birds with stippled hens (not wheaton based) and striped hackles. Sort of partridge colored birds. Those hens were beautiful to my eye but something about a Cubalaya cock to me needs clear hackles. John's own birds were dark enough that there was none of that shading that the lightest, brightest most fire colored red duckwing cocks show. This was something the Bayliss version of the Schmudde strain excelled in. The only two Sam Brush birds I've handled were two lovely males who were not awfully dark in their red but also showed none of that color graduation from top of skull to lower hackle shawl. Just as some breed OEG bantams showing one even shade of red in the hackle so seem to be many Cubalayas. I'd have to look at the Standard to see what's said in there about male color but I also know what I like. That bright, firey red that shades to molten gold, like a well colored Modern Game, is visual heaven on earth. But I am not sure without looking that they are required to have the shading and a lot of them don't. READ the post LOL. Saladin just says it requires them to shade to golden. Yea! I wonder if his breeding program that sought out and then crossed different lines is drawing the shaded hackle back out of the background?

Been getting lots of messages from ppl wanting cubalayas. we just sold quite a few pullets to some kid that has some from our original line. so pretty much only have males left... and lots of them. been cleanin up the bator... a bit late... but were collectin. Got some males to get rid of so we'll be ready for the chicks.

Last year we kinda hatched from maybe lots wheaten breeders... more than needed
jumpy.gif
so we only have 2 pens of wheaten, a pair of white, 1 pen of blue wheatens, and a pair of golden duckwing... with limited eggs. if there strange eggs they arn't hatched.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom