Cuckoo Ko Shamo

Would anyone have any advice how I would be able to create my own Cuckoo Ko Shamo's and what would be the best pairing to start with along with what route I would have to produce the final product.
I know lots about chicken genetics, but I don't know enough about this. But thank you for joining our community! :welcome:frow. Let me tag some great people that may be able to help: @MysteryChicken @The Moonshiner @Amer

Would anyone have any advice how I would be able to create my own Cuckoo Ko Shamo's and what would be the best pairing to start with along with what route I would have to produce the final product.
You'd have to start with Barred bird, to introduce the barring.

You could use a Gamefowl like Dom, or just a regular Barred bird like bantam Barred Rock.

Last edited:
You'd have to start with Barred bird, to introduce the barring.

You could you a Gamefowl like Dom, or just a regular Barred bird like bantam Barred Rock.

So say I got a barred Dom Bantam / Barred Rock Bantam. Which way round would be best?

As in should the bird used to introduce the barred be a cock bird / rooster and the ko Shamo be a hen? if so what colour would be best for a Ko hen if that is the case? Black, White, wheaten?

Thanks for your time

So say I got a barred Dom Bantam / Barred Rock Bantam. Which way round would be best?

As in should the bird used to introduce the barred be a cock bird / rooster and the ko Shamo be a hen? if so what colour would be best for a Ko hen if that is the case? Black, White, wheaten?

Thanks for your time
Yes, the Barred Rooster should be used, he'll produce all Barred offspring.

Any color you choose. If you want regular Barring/cuckoo use the black hen.

Yes, the Barred Rooster should be used, he'll produce all Barred offspring.

Any color you choose. If you want regular Barring/cuckoo use the black hen.
CuckooKoShamoPrSKorea.JPEG

This is the type of style I would be after.

So once I cross the Barred Dom Rooster with the black Ko hen and get chicks.

What is the next step to bring them back to more pure Ko Shamo but obviously with Cuckoo markings. Would I then take one of the male barred chicks and put them with a pure black Ko Shamo hen again the following year or is there some steps I am missing out?

Thanks as always

View attachment 2959159

This is the type of style I would be after.

So once I cross the Barred Dom Rooster with the black Ko hen and get chicks.

What is the next step to bring them back to more pure Ko Shamo but obviously with Cuckoo markings. Would I then take one of the male barred chicks and put them with a pure black Ko Shamo hen again the following year or is there some steps I am missing out?

Thanks as always
You breed the best looking offspring a couple times, then back cross to the parents. Of course this is gonna take some line breeding to lock in the traits of the breed, & keep the barring pure.

You breed the best looking offspring a couple times, then back cross to the parents. Of course this is gonna take some line breeding to lock in the traits of the breed, & keep the barring pure.

Its slowly starting to make sense :) I understand everything so far haha

So the first off spring I get I.E all little brother and sister chicks (will all these come out barred)? If not do I always keep the Cock bird barred when breeding the off spring the couple of times.

You say back cross to the parents? what does this involve? Like 3 years down the line for example I will have all Cuckoo Ko Stags and Hens yeah, then for the 4 year breeding I will breed the 3rd year off springs back to the 2nd year parents that birthed them?

Or am I making this more complicated than it should be haha. I am knew to this so its all very interesting.

Without sounding like a numpty what is the main reason to back breed to parents after so long rather than just continuing to breed offspring down the line?

Its slowly starting to make sense :) I understand everything so far haha

So the first off spring I get I.E all little brother and sister chicks (will all these come out barred)? If not do I always keep the Cock bird barred when breeding the off spring the couple of times.

You say back cross to the parents? what does this involve? Like 3 years down the line for example I will have all Cuckoo Ko Stags and Hens yeah, then for the 4 year breeding I will breed the 3rd year off springs back to the 2nd year parents that birthed them?

Or am I making this more complicated than it should be haha. I am knew to this so its all very interesting.

Without sounding like a numpty what is the main reason to back breed to parents after so long rather than just continuing to breed offspring down the line?
Back crossing to the parents will restore purity, plus the new color you want. As in parent, I mean the purebred mother to second generation son.
You can also take 2nd generation daughter, & breed to a purebred unrelated cock.

Breeding Barred male to solid female will produce all Barred offspring since he's double barred.

Since the male offspring from the first crossing will only be single Barred, you breed them together to lock in the traits you want, & keep the double barring factor of the males.

There is no need to breed F1s to each other, just get the best F1 male and breed it back to mother Shamo, the Back Cross will be 75% Shamo and 50% of them will be single Barred

Back
Top Bottom