Cuckoo Maran/ Ameraucana cross

O'Henry Farms

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 29, 2010
Grassy Creek, NC
Would you get barred olive eggers with this cross? I know very little about genetics. What color Ameraucana would you need? I have had really poor luck trying to hatch these out from shipped eggs despite the eggcelent packing they've arrived in, so I thought I might start my first project. Can't wait to hear what you guys have to tell me. I love having this site as a resource!

You can indeed get barred Olive Eggers from this cross. There aren't many dark egg laying lines of Cuckoos out there, so I'd be sure what you are buying if the goal is an olive egger, and not an easter egger.

A Cuckoo Marans rooster over black Ameraucana girls would be the best bet. You could use a blue hen as well, and then you would get blue and black barred olive eggers.

If you wanted to be certain you were starting with dark egg color, you could use a black Ameraucana roo over a Cuckoo Marans hen, but the offspring would be sex linked. The pullets would be black, and the cockerels would be barred.

Have fun!

You can indeed get barred Olive Eggers from this cross. There aren't many dark egg laying lines of Cuckoos out there, so I'd be sure what you are buying if the goal is an olive egger, and not an easter egger.

A Cuckoo Marans rooster over black Ameraucana girls would be the best bet. You could use a blue hen as well, and then you would get blue and black barred olive eggers.

If you wanted to be certain you were starting with dark egg color, you could use a black Ameraucana roo over a Cuckoo Marans hen, but the offspring would be sex linked. The pullets would be black, and the cockerels would be barred.

Have fun!
wouldn't they be sexed linked (just harder to tell) the 1st way also? - CM x Am - the spots on the head or white tips on wings, or something in the barred pattern? Please let me know as I have a bunch! https://www.backyardchickens.com/members/beardedladyfarm.32940/

So my speckled Sussex just hatched two eggs I got from a friend that have a cuckoo maran mother and a lavender Ameraucana father. Will these be considered sexlinkable? (I made up that word sorry) I noticed one has a solid dark head and the other has a creamy white spot on the head.

Attachments

• 20180724_053720.jpg
    20180724_053720.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20180724_121637.jpg
    20180724_121637.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 68
So my speckled Sussex just hatched two eggs I got from a friend that have a cuckoo maran mother and a lavender Ameraucana father. Will these be considered sexlinkable? (I made up that word sorry) I noticed one has a solid dark head and the other has a creamy white spot on the head.

So what was the outcome?

So what was the outcome?
Yes, they were sexlinked. Hen=solid head, Roo=creamy spot on head. The hen ended up being a really pretty black bird, solid colored for the most part, adn the roo, looked more like a barred rock with an ameraucana face than my cuckoo maran hens that I just got.

Back
Top Bottom