Cuckoo Maran and ???

FireGal

Chirping
Aug 27, 2019
Northeast Arkansas
The little black cutie is supposed to be a cuckoo maran. I know nothing about this breed. Will she stay this dark or lighten up? Pictures of others I’ve seen look more like my Dominique. This poor thing looks like a baby crow to me right now
The other picture is supposedly of an RIR and buff Orpington cross. She doesn’t look like either of those breeds to me, but I know nothing. She’s beautiful, a deep copper with black. Any ideas of what she actually is, if anything? I’m fine with her “just” being a chicken

Attachments

• 4353A4EE-AFBD-48E2-94CC-34479CDFA4BD.jpeg
    4353A4EE-AFBD-48E2-94CC-34479CDFA4BD.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 88A7241A-5510-4A62-AD60-CE10D8F86327.jpeg
    88A7241A-5510-4A62-AD60-CE10D8F86327.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 26
Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! I have no idea! :oops: But, they are sure cute chickens. I will say this, I have both RIRs and BOs, that first one looks like neither, not even a mix of them.

The darker marans are females? Y’all are going to see my ignorance a lot. Here is one of those moments. I’ve been looking at pictures on the internet, and seeing marans that were more silver and didn’t have feathers on their feet. Thank you.
The other little unknown is the smallest of the bunch. They don’t have names yet (we just got them Tuesday) but I’ve been calling her Rookie because she is so much smaller. We are a firefighter family, so it has to be rookie or probie if you are the new guy, you’re small, and you run around following the group with no clue what is going on

Last edited:
Barring and cuckoo are similar in that the males have two copies of the gene, causing them to be lighter in color, while the females have only one; making them appear darker.

These are barred rocks, but the appearance between male and female is similar.
barred-rock-hen-rooster-chicken.jpg

The darker marans are females? Y’all are going to see my ignorance a lot. Here is one of those moments. I’ve been looking at pictures on the internet, and seeing marans that were more silver and didn’t have feathers on their feet. Thank you.
The other little unknown is the smallest of the bunch. They don’t have names yet (we just got them Tuesday) but I’ve been calling her Rookie because she is so much smaller. We are a firefighter family, so it has to be rookie or probie if you are the new guy, you’re small, and you run around following the group with no clue what is going on
Marans come from two basic stock (especially the cuckoo). The UK stock is clean legged and the French stock is feather legged. The popularity of one vs the other has fluxuated in the US. Sometimes you'll see them referred to as French Cuckoo Marans to denote that it will have feathered legs.

Here are some images of clean legged Cuckoo Marans. You can see the difference in the color on the males versus the females.

I would also agree that the first chick is probably a cockerel and potentially a mix.

Clean-legged Cuckoo Marans (Fugate Line).jpg
Clean-legged Cuckoo Marans.jpg
Cuckoo Marans Pair (Clean Legged).jpg

Back
Top Bottom