Cuckoo Maran/Barred Rock ?

Lucysmom002

Songster
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Wisconsin
What is the difference between these two? I'm asking because we have a BR hen that is almost 2 years old. I know she is a BR. I got a chick from McMurray last May that I've been calling a BR but I'm thinking she is not one now. She is MUCH darker and "someone" is laying VERY dark brown eggs out there. I can't figure out who it is, we have 17 birds.
She had the white spot on her head when she was a baby.

Also, we were supposed to get a "rare" bird from McMurray and the only bird that we got that was a rooster was a Partridge Cochin. We thought he was our "rare" bird but what is so rare about that?? Hmmmm
We also had 27 chicks in that order when should've had 25 plus one rare. I think the little roo was an oops in the box.

I'm wondering now if this hen was our RARE bird???

Actually she is the bird in my profile pic. She was still very young in the pic

Last edited:
Quote:
Phoebe's egg looks like a Marans egg should, dark, reddish brown and very round. She looks like a CM roo in front and a hen in the back. Way cool color, but not The Standard. The Roos are always a couple shades lighter than the hens.

barred rock
103640_brockhen.jpg

marans
103640_moronhen.jpg

biggest difference is their leg color marans are white while the rock is yellow also notice the color and patteren difference as well rock has more even bars while the marans are uneven

61761_img_5946aaaaa.jpg

Here are my two:
Barred rock on right.
Cuckoo Marans on left. Her eggs vary from beige to dark brown...sometimes we get freckled ones from her. She is hatchery quality.

I know what you mean. We started with 2 in May of 2010. 2 little chicks. Husband built a little coop for them.
In May of 2011 we had over 30 chickens and a huge 12 x 24 coop built off the side of the barn. Insulated, air conditioned, everything..
lol.png

I did sell some of my chicks and lost a few on the way but we now have 17 hens. I love them all. They are like potato chips, can't have just one.

Quote:
We started with 4 the beginning of August of 2010. ( My birthday gift- dh built our 1st coop and second as we expanded.) One turned out to be a rooster and unfortunately had to be rehomed and got 2 more. Then is September, brought 3 more fuzzy butts. Come March of 11, my nephew wanted chicks and I came home with 2 more ( Lucy and Phoebe). A BYCer on the AZ thread needed to rehome her young pullets and 3 more came home with me. I would love to have an Olive Egger and a Copper Marans so I can have some variety in egg color. Would like to get them from a breeder and not a hatchery. My last 3 gals came from breeders from BYC.

Our coop sounds a little like yours except smaller. 6x8 We have a ceiling fan as well as a/c.

66234_img_5400.jpg

Doesn't look like my Barred Rock, other than that I can't say what she does look like. Maybe someone with one like her, her breed, will recognize her.

(I don't know if I have the terms right, but she looks more speckled than barred... if you get my meaning. And, what about the eye color, does that play into breed as well?)

Best of luck.. she's pretty.

Last edited:
Quote:
shes a barred rock for sure...can you post pics of your other chickens? the black wash down her legs when young indacated that she was a pullet(not always accurate though)

Last edited:
Your girl looks like mine.

Both of my girls were from the Cuckoo Marans brooder at the feed store. The brooder was locked and only the employees could get them. They did not have any BR's when I was there.

This is Lucy. She has white legs. Unfortunately she died at 5 months and never laid an egg to see what color it was.
66234_img_2158.jpg

This is Lucy's sister, Phoebe. She had white legs until she was about 4 weeks old and they turned yellow. Her head and neck look like a BR but her body looks like a CM.
66234_img_2857.jpg

Phoebe lays the dark egg on the far right. So, what is she?
66234_img_5043.jpg

Back
Top Bottom