Rhode island white over cornish game hen

Sorry. Been a bit busy. They hatched on schedule. Unfortunately only 3 of the eggs out of 12 were fertile.
But the good news is at least there was 3. The parent flock, is very young. So im putting it down to that.
So 4 days old in these pics.
One has clear brown markings. Other 2 are just pale yellow.

Attachments

• IMG_20231121_165734.jpg
    IMG_20231121_165734.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20231121_165808.jpg
    IMG_20231121_165808.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231121_165738.jpg
    IMG_20231121_165738.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 10
Sorry. Been a bit busy. They hatched on schedule. Unfortunately only 3 of the eggs out of 12 were fertile.
But the good news is at least there was 3. The parent flock, is very young. So im putting it down to that.
So 4 days old in these pics.
One has clear brown markings. Other 2 are just pale yellow.
I think you said the eggs could have been pure Rhode Island White, or a mix with the RIW and Cornish.

The chick with the brown markings should be from one of the Cornish hens. I think I see a pea comb, and the markings are pretty obvious too.

For the other chicks, I can't see the comb on one of them, but one looks like it might have a pea comb (which would mean a Cornish mother for that chick.)

They are very cute chicks :)

Here is a better pic. I personally can't see a difference. But I don't have a trained eye.

I must say though. The mum is an egg production hen bred for commercial production barn raisingand free range purpose. Leghorn over rhode Island white. I'd say they lay over 300 eggs per year each. She is an outstanding mother.

Attachments

• IMG_20231123_170049.jpg
    IMG_20231123_170049.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 11
Here is a better pic. I personally can't see a difference. But I don't have a trained eye.
Comb types can be hard to see on chicks.

A single comb is typically thin and has points on the top, almost like the style of comb you might use on a person's hair.

In newly hatched chicks, pea combs tend to look almost like the chick has no comb at all.

It does get easier to tell as they get older. Pea combs will be wider than single combs but usually less tall. Pea combs may have a row of ridges or bumps (like peas), but will not have skinny points standing up. Some pea combs, especially in chicks with just one pea-comb parent, can make odd-looking blobby shapes. I've seen someone compare them to a lump of bubble gum 🤣

(You can only get single and pea combs from this cross, so I'm ignoring other comb types here.)

I must say though. The mum is an egg production hen bred for commercial production barn raisingand free range purpose. Leghorn over rhode Island white. I'd say they lay over 300 eggs per year each. She is an outstanding mother.
Good mother hens are really nice to have. I'm glad she is doing so well!

Maybe it is different here. But all eggs from that one are off white. They are the only chickens in there.

So.... natJ it looks at this stage as if they are all pea combs?

So.... natJ it looks at this stage as if they are all pea combs?
Tentatively, yes. I can't tell the two white ones apart in the photos, so I can't tell whether I've seen at least one photo of each comb, or whether I've seen just one more than once and missed the other. But I haven't seen any obvious single combs.

Back
Top Bottom