Cuckoo maran behavior and add anomaly??

I loved my cuckoo maran I used to have. Chickens peck and break the eggs sometimes, it's not just a thing with this breed. And the reason they probably run up to you when you're collecting them is because they know that the eggs taste amazing. At least, my flock always does that.
They do love when I drop one on the ground.

I don't think those eggs are fertile, the dot isn't round although it looks like a "bulls eye" it's not quite. But I'm no expert & waiting to see what others say.

Is the whole duplex 8 x 12 or each section is?
It's recommended a coop be a minimum of 4 sq ft per chicken & a run 10sq ft per chicken to keep harmony and issues at bay. Hubby built me an 8x12 CH = 96sq ft and I keep mine confinded so figured space wise I'm can have no more than 6. Never had more than 4 - 5 and alls been well ... One way to control Chicken Math :gig

A friend has FCM, no issues with egg eating and she loves them, never said anything about personality issues. Get a squirt bottle & squirt them when the get too "friendly".

6 birds in each section. It’s about 8 feet high, probably about 12 feet long and 8 feet wide. I don’t remember exactly, hubby built it last fall.

If they don't have runs to get out into then that's pretty tight quarters. The usual guidelines are that 6 hens need:
  • 24 square feet in the coop.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
Roosters are both physically larger and territorial so many people allot extra space if they have roosters.

So, if they do have access to runs then your coop is generous at 6x8 for 6 birds. But if they don't have runs then it's pretty tight with only 8 square feet total space per bird instead of 14 square feet total space per bird.

Cramped quarters don't guarantee behavior problems, but what the long-time experts here have taught me is that when you HAVE a behavior problem the size and quality of the space is one of the first things to look at. :)

If you look at the Marans description in various hatchery catalogs you'll see them described as "active" or "good for ranging" or "self-reliant" and you won't see "tolerates confinement". This is usually a good indication that they need more elbow room than the average breed.

Maybe they are craving certain nutrients that they would get free ranging, and that is why they are crazy for the eggs? Maybe you can add some black solidier fly grubs to their diet and see if that helps while you work on the space issue? You can also throw in some short grass clippings.

We also got an electric fence from Kencove and that did a lot to keep back the canine predators, they usually hit it with their nose. Our chicken area is close to our house, too, that might be playing into it as well.

Last edited:
I love my cuckoo! I have a mixed breed flock that's about 3 weeks old and she's one of the friendliest without being pushy or rude. She will sit on the edge of the brooder when I have the lid open and wait to be invited onto my hand. She seeks out snuggles but only if my buff orpington isn't first in line. This surprised me because she had pasty butt pretty bad the first few days I had her home and it caused her obvious discomfort to be cleaned up so often, so I thought she would hate me. I hope the eggs end up being as nice as her personality.

Back
Top Bottom