Cuckoo maran chicks acting odd

RowlenAcres

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
Central Illinois
Hello!
I'm brand new to chicks and after planning and researching the brooder, the coop and the breeds I got my chicks and it's mostly going well. That being said I have several breeds that are meshing well, but my cuckoo marans just don't act like the rest. After a week and a half they are growing just like the others, but they don't play and I never see them eat or drink. Everytime I go to the brooder they are laying around with their wings down and their eyes closed. I have 18 chicks and 3 are cuckoo marans and all 3 are acting this way. I'm just wondering if this is normal for the cuckoo maran breed since none of the other chicks are acting this way?

20200330_184321.jpg
20200310_141743.jpg

The top picture is of one of the marans, they are my only straight runs so I'm not sure if it's a pullet or cockerel. That was it last night laying on its side, I really thought it was dying but then it jumped up when I reached in for it, then went back to acting like it had been.
The bottom picture is the brooder when the chicks were smaller, I don't have any new pictures now.

Update in case anyone looks at this later.

They are now over 6 months old. They are not cuckoo marans at all, they are all black. None of them can walk. I've tried everything I could find on here and they just seem to be slowly becoming paralyzed. I've decided to cull them after 6 months of trying. I've got a very docile flock, but I've noticed my other girls pecking them lately. Sad day!

Back
Top Bottom