1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo Maran - Egg color!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueheaven, Jan 25, 2012.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    my cuckoo maran has been laying 'regular' brown eggs. they are even on the lighter side.
    will they get darker with age?

thought they were suppose to lay 'chocolate' eggs!

2. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    How old is she? From what I understand, the color of Marans eggs can actually lighten with age. However, if she hasn't been laying for very long, then it might be that her body is still getting used to egg laying.

3. blueheaven

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    8 months.

4. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I don't believe Cucko Marans lay a particularly dark egg like the FBC Marans do. My Cucko lays a light brown egg.

5. blueheaven

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    ok. thanks.
    what is the maran that lays chocolate eggs?

6. mdibaugh

mdibaugh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Eaton rapids, Mi
    I have a Silver Cuckoo Maran and my friend has a sister from the same batch. They are about1 1/2 years old. Mine lays normal brown eggs and hers lays deep chocolate colored eggs. Dont know what to tell you. Maybe its their diet.

7. RaeRae2

RaeRae2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    My mother had Cuckoo Marans and they laid light regular brown eggs. In her research she had learned that only a few of these birds lay the chocolate eggs. There are other types of Marans and I don't know anything about their egg colors???

8. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    French Black Copper Marans lay the darkest eggs.

9. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    All Marans are french. The breed was named after the town/area where they were developed: Marans, France. My Cucko Marans lay eggs lighter in color than my RIR. My Black Copper Marans lay dark coppery brown eggs. They are about 1 shade lighter than the darkest egg on the Marans egg color chart.

10. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Wow, this is all quite interesting to know. I had always thought that all color types of Marans laid the chocolate brown eggs. I just got a cuckoo Marans a couple of weeks ago, and the people I got her from told me she lays the dark brown eggs. Makes you wonder about some things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by