cuckoo maran- gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kittykorat, Jul 11, 2010.

1. kittykorat

kittykorat Songster

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    12 weeks old
    has a redder face and bigger comb..
    and is lighter in color....
    but no saddle feathers that I can see, and body is sort of round.... doesn't stand upright light a roo...
    I am confused.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010

2. RockwaterFarm

RockwaterFarm Songster

Feb 17, 2010
    East Hartland, CT
    Male mine looked the same way, i was supposed to get a girl but i got a boy instead. he looked just like my barred rock , like yours does now

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

In the picture it looks to have yellow legs.....BR have yellow legs, Marans should have white.

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    This bird is not a Cuckoo Marans. Cuckoo Marans birds although are barred birds the barring looks different on a Marans and also this bird has yellow legs. Yellow legs are not found in Marans. Marans can have whiteish/pink legs or can have slate/ light charcoal colored legs. This bird could be a rooster....see the curve starting in the tail feathers, but very hard to tell. If he is a he, he would appear to only have one copy of the barring gene that would make him hen colored white barring on black feathers vs. a roo who has two copies of the barring gene that would make him look lighter than a female..he would instead have black barring on a white feather.

5. kittykorat

kittykorat Songster

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    I ordered cuckoo marans from Meyer- all 3 are in the first pic. Only the darkest of them has whitish legs... You can see her feet in the second pic.
    They are nice birds, but none of them are anywhere near standard. [​IMG]I wonder what color eggs they will lay?

6. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    I don't think that's a Cuckoo Marans bird... it has yellow feet! Anyway, it looks kinda pullety... kinda rooish...... hmm

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:They didn't send you what you ordered.......the ones with yellow legs are either barred rocks or a mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by