Cuckoo Maran Hen 7 1/2 months old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DebBee, Sep 24, 2013.

1. DebBee

DebBee New Egg

Jan 22, 2013
    Hello Chicken folks, I have a Cuckoo Maran who is now 30 weeks old. She has not laid an egg. I have 5 other hen of varying breeds and they are all laying. 4 of the 5 have been laying since July and my Welsummer started about a month ago. Is this typical for a Cuckoo Maran?
    Thanks,
    DebBee

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have a picture?

I'm always curious---how do you know a specific bird isn't laying?

3. TheJadeChicken

TheJadeChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 Unless you mean you haven't got any typical Maran Chocolate Eggs. I read that not all marans lay chocolate eggs, some lay lighter brown eggs.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    x3, it's most often the cuckoo Marans that lay the lighter eggs, especially hatchery birds.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X4 A photo would help.

6. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I have three cuckoo Marans from Cackle Hatchery that are 25-weeks old. Today was the first time I've caught one in the nestbox. Her egg, while not as dark as the FBCM I had a few years ago, is noticeably darker than any of my other brown egg layers. So, I'm still waiting for the other two to start laying. My FBCM were 30-some-weeks old before they started laying.

Lack-of-coffee final ETA:
    If you want to be certain the hen isn't laying, you could try putting some food coloring on her vent.

I don't automatically doubt that somebody knows if their hen is laying or not. At some point or another I've seen every one of my birds lay an egg; and with a small, mixed flock, the eggs can be quite individualistic.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  7. DebBee

DebBee New Egg

Jan 22, 2013
    Thank you all for you comments on my Cuckcoo Maran. I have been off of here for the last 3 months or so. I left and went to Portland the end of September for the birth of one on our grandsons. While I was gone my daughter took care of our chickens and the Cuckcoo Maran started laying about a week after we left. We are back now and all our girls are doing great and laying good even in this cold weather. ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by