Cuckoo Maran on last legs - How do I end her misery?

it sounds like something congenital that is finally ramping up and killing her, since she has always been a bit wonky. I had a beautiful LF partridge Orpington Cockerell who had a lopsided gait and was always a bit "off". So friendly and gorgeous feathering. He just dropped dead running towards me one day aged about 6 months.

Chickens are prey animals and cover up their illness as much as they can so as not to make them appear a target to predators. So when one is showing as poorly as yours is, you know she hasn't got long to live. Poor thing.

You can dispatch her quickly, and there is advice on the meat processing threads here how to do it humanely.
yes, i think it may be. I
i haven't de wormed her.. i've only had them for two months and the other two seem perfectly healthy. perhaps I should do that first, though instinct tells me that she is genetically weak anyway. I will look up de worming now
I have felt in between her legs - its hard, not soft nor squishy. She didn't like it. I've also bathed her in warm water with ACV and had a gentle experiment inside to see if anything was stuck in there. Doesn't appear so. She has zero energy to even stand properly. Poor Becka.

it sounds like something congenital that is finally ramping up and killing her, since she has always been a bit wonky. I had a beautiful LF partridge Orpington Cockerell who had a lopsided gait and was always a bit "off". So friendly and gorgeous feathering. He just dropped dead running towards me one day aged about 6 months.

Chickens are prey animals and cover up their illness as much as they can so as not to make them appear a target to predators. So when one is showing as poorly as yours is, you know she hasn't got long to live. Poor thing.

You can dispatch her quickly, and there is advice on the meat processing threads here how to do it humanely.
Yes, my instinct tell me that is it congenital. She's always been wonky and unbalanced. and she went through this for a few days shortly after I acquired her. She peckered up thereafter. But now its not god. ok, Ill go to the meat processing threads - so sad

perhaps she is egg bound if she has a hard mass between her legs. If she has a dodgy pelvis that might cause the eggs to get stuck and not be able to descend properly, but i am only guessing.

There are ways to help her like warm baths or compresses and vaseline applied to her vent.

But it will happen again, and it probably isn't fair on her to keep putting her through it.

perhaps she is egg bound if she has a hard mass between her legs. If she has a dodgy pelvis that might cause the eggs to get stuck and not be able to descend properly, but i am only guessing.

There are ways to help her like warm baths or compresses and vaseline applied to her vent.

But it will happen again, and it probably isn't fair on her to keep putting her through it.

I bathed her this morning and conducted an internal examination while she was in the bath. Couldnt feel anything. It may have just been the carcass I could feel. She's lost most of her weight. My dad is coming tomorrow to dispatch her. So Sad... I did my level best :(
Thank you for your advice.

Well done for making the hardest decision. Its crap being in that situation. You absolutely did your best for her, and far more than many would have done.

Back
Top Bottom