Should I put her down?

bockerchickens

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2023
See the prior thread for pictures and some historical details: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...what-it-is-please-help.1604394/#post-27321332

She's not eating at all now and I don't see any poop-she stays almost always asleep and lethargic at this point. I tried treating for coccidiosis and for worms but it hasn't seemed to have any impact on her. Been giving her water with electrolytes and she's been drinking it but even that she's taking less of than before.

I suspect it may be a case of salpingitis at this point though I'm not sure. Her breath does not smell funny and there's nothing really in her crop that I can tell. Is it more humane just to put her down at this point? I really want this girl to live.

When a bird declines to the level you've described, it is nearly impossible to save them. Any effort to do so typically fails and she dies regardless.
If she were mine, I would euthanize her and end her suffering.
She looks like a nice bird too. I'm sorry she's gotten so sick.
You might want to consider doing either a formal or informal necropsy if you have the stomach for it so you can get some idea of what happened in case it might be affecting the rest of your flock to a lesser degree.

Have you given her calcium citrate with D3? Offer her raw yolk and watermelon to get her glucose up. That will whet her appetite. I've saved two gens from on the brink like this. No idea what was wrong with them but they're back to their chicken selves, no issues.

It's a hail Mary but could work!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902-175810.png
    Screenshot_20230902-175810.png
    252.4 KB · Views: 3
In my experience, once you start thinking that putting them down is the best thing for them, you are 100% correct and it needs to be done.

Thanks all. I was planning on put her down this morning but she passed while we were at Thanksgiving dinner. Sadly my 3 oldest kids went to check on her first so my 6 year old girl burst into tears about losing Chocolate so it was a rough night.

I would do a necropsy, but I don't have the time right now/don't think my daughter would handle the idea well. I'm betting it was salpingitis, but who knows.

Thanks all. I was planning on put her down this morning but she passed while we were at Thanksgiving dinner. Sadly my 3 oldest kids went to check on her first so my 6 year old girl burst into tears about losing Chocolate so it was a rough night.

I would do a necropsy, but I don't have the time right now/don't think my daughter would handle the idea well. I'm betting it was salpingitis, but who knows.
I'm sorry for your loss, it's never easy to lose a flock member.

Back
Top Bottom