Cuckoo marans rooster crossed with a splash marans...

Cuckoo = Barred Black
Silver Cuckoo = Barred Birchin
Golded Cuckoo = Barred Brown Red ( Barred Black Copper )

No,
The British Standard recognises two barred black Cuckoo
1.The Cuckoo is homozygous for the barring gene, B/B males, thus males are much lighter than the B/- hemizygous hens.
2.The Dark Cuckoo is heterozygous for the barring gene, B/b+ males, and are as dark as the hen.
The hens of both the above varieties are identical. Exhibition Dark Cuckoo males are produced from light Cuckoo males mated to Black hens. All above varieties are based on the Extended Black ,E, allele.

The French (Common European ) Standard does not recognise the Dark Cuckoo. The only black cuckoo in this Standard is the Silver Cuckoo as described in 1. above.

Black cuckoo birds bred by mating Birchen ( ER based) to Cuckoo (E) will produce birds with a phenotype similar to Silver Cuckoo but with an incorrect genotype, as with the Dark Cuckoo they will not breed true.

Mating a Brown-Red (Black Copper) will produce a psuedo Golden Cuckoo, which in effect will have gold breaking through in the neck hackle,shoulders etc. It will be a Crow-wing rather than the required Duckwing,& again will not breed true.

The Golden Cuckoo (recognised in both British & French Standards) is a barred duckwing (Crele) and is based on the e+ allele.​

If you breed him with Black Marans Hens, you will get blue offspring every time.... Here's a Link by Beverley Ann Davis, that will help you understand ( http://www.bevsmarans.com/breeding.html ) .... Hope this helps. I have six different types of Marans, and plan on this program to breed more Blue Marans
thumbsup.gif

It would not be a problem if hobby names and abbreviations were not used in these posts. The correct name for a Black Copper is a Brown-Red, and for Cuckoo it's a Silver Cuckoo. Black is Black.

After ten years people still have a less than specific approach to Marans which may be why the bloodlines are so messed up... I keep a closed flock of GFF Brown-Red Marans and get the darkest eggs...consistently 7-8 on the chart. I breed for both egg and table. They are wonderful tasting and very tender.

Back
Top Bottom