Cuckoo Marans vs Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by enggass, Dec 21, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Can any of you help me with few key things to look for on what is different between a CuckooM and a BR?
    I know the barring is not as distinct on the CM as they are on a BR, but what are the other different traits?
    Leg color? Ears? Anything I can look for... I have what is supposed to be a BR, but she lays eggs that are considerably richer/darker in color, as well as spotting/speckles.
    The top of her head is much darker as well. And I can tell you, the barring isn't great...

It's probably nothing, but I am still curious. I got her from a local feed store that gets their birds from Mt. Healthy Hatchery in Ohio. Wondering if maybe there was a mix up???

2. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    If you got her at Ames it is a BR. Sometimes they just lay darker eggs.
    I don't think Mt Healthy carries CMs.

3. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    It wasn't Ames. It was RZR in Waldoboro. She's probably just a dark egg layer, but was curious anyway.

4. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    HI,white legs for the marans.yellow for the BR.
    My BR's lay rather medium brown eggs and my cuckoo's more like dark terra cotta.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cuckoo Marans have white/pearly pink legs and feet. Barred Rocks have yellow. (although hatchery birds have a lot of grey in there too)

Also, Cuckoo Marans usually have a smaller tail, more robust body, and more fluff at the thighs.

6. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I will say that the 'Hatchery' gene is evident in both of my BRs with the lack of clean barring. Don't get me wrong, still very pretty with nice combs and great egg layers, but definitely not breeder quality.
    I begin my breeder quality collection this spring when I try to hatch some BCM, BWAmeraucanas and Barnevelders! Can't wait...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by