Cull or No Cull?

Oct 16, 2020
Advice please?

I have a mixed-age coop of 11 birds right now, and though the youngest among them havent quite started laying yet, it’s become clear I have 3 boys.

The youngest boy is a tuxedo male, and he has taken to picking on my one tuxedo female, who is by far my best layer. This worries me because the one aggressive male I’ve had was also a tuxedo male.

So...3 boys in a coop of 11 birds is not optimal. I have more quail, but they are too young to be added.

My question is this:

Do I watch and wait?

Or do I cull one of the males?

If so, should I cull my oldest boy, “tiny”?
Pro: he’s a real sweetheart and not a year old until summer. Con: he is the father of all my current young quail, so...he’s gonna make by birds inbred.

Or should I cull the new boy?
Pro: I was hoping to breed more tuxedo birds, as they are the heartiest and largest babies, and my tuxedo girl lays like crazy. Con: the one tuxedo male I’ve had was aggressive.

Also, Tiny and the other (non-tuxedo) male had been living together, with only 5 females between them, in peace and harmony and without hurting anyone until New Tuxedo Guy showed up.

So What do you guys think? Should someone get the chop? And if so, who?

I would separate the aggressor into a time-out or cull it if aeparation is not possible regardless of age.
Okay. So far, he’s just been grabbing at the girl‘s feathers, and a couple of her feathers are askew. Is that aggressive enough to count as aggressive?

(my other males, the younger one fights with the older a little. But neither has ever gonna after a female.)

I don't have quail but you could sell one male quail you don't want/need or separate him and give him some females until your younger ones are old enough to put in with the older quail.

I don't have quail but you could sell one male quail you don't want/need or separate him and give him some females until your younger ones are old enough to put in with the older quail.
I don’t mind putting him down, but I’m not inclined to put him in solitary confinement, as he’ll probably start crowing nonstop.

I live on a 1/4 acre, so sound carries.

moving them all to a different coop, flipping them to sex them, and putting them back seems to have put Mr. Macho in his place. He stopped harassing the hen and now seems to be docile again.

I’m going to keep a watchful eye.

We will see if he makes it to 2021.

Keep "tiny" if this is a bird you want to breed. Father/daughter isn't a dealbreaker. Move the newbie out and give him a couple of girls (but not the one he keeps jumping). See if that works out until your next set is ready to be combined.

BTW, more experienced folks here can chime in, but I think tuxedo might be a hybrid color -- not necessarily something that can be routinely bred by pairing tuxedos together.

Keep "tiny" if this is a bird you want to breed. Father/daughter isn't a dealbreaker. Move the newbie out and give him a couple of girls (but not the one he keeps jumping). See if that works out until your next set is ready to be combined.

BTW, more experienced folks here can chime in, but I think tuxedo might be a hybrid color -- not necessarily something that can be routinely bred by pairing tuxedos together.
TuxXTux will be about 50% tux, 25% white and 25% solid whatever the tuxes are

Back
Top Bottom