Cull or not?

Brooklynfarmer

Chirping
Jul 22, 2020
Brooklyn NY
My first chicken is Goldie. She grew to be a master layer, at 5 months old she was laying everyday until now, 8 months old. She developed a prolapse, doc said she is not able to process her calcium correctly and her egg is not forming, she pushes and hence the prolapse. I nursed her back to health and returned her to the flock, she spent a week living in my bedroom, and being tended to like a queen. She looked good, she is the alpha of the group, and she stepped right in no problems, she was and still is eating and drinking, and she has been active, and now three weeks later she is prolapsed again and she is being pecked at. She has not laid an egg since her first prolapse, and after a 350 charge at the vet, what should I do? Take her back to the doc, or cull her? or is there something I can do for her to return her back to health?

It is your choice. Chances are she’ll just prolapse again, and you’ll have to go through this again. If I were in this situation I think I’d probably cull her (of course that’s easy to say when I’m not in your situation). In the end of the day your her owner, if you want to try and nurse her back to health again then go ahead. Sadly you do need to think about what is best for her, maybe getting her back to health just for her to prolapse again in a month or two? And maybe she won’t? It is up to you.

Get some cold water rinse the prolapse off and see if you can get back in yourself. Basically your just stuffing back in easily a little force a little finesse. The cold water will help it shrink some make it a little easier to get back in.

The problem with great layers today is they can have problems with prolapsed vents. A prolapse can be pecked, and vents can be damaged from prolapses and from pecking. Huge eggs can also cause prolapse. Do you feed a layer tyoe feed, and have crushed oyster shell always available for free taking? Is she overweight? That can alao lead to prolapses. Many people with favorite hens who don’t want them to keep having problems, consider having their vets use a hormone implant 2-3 times a year to keep the hen from laying, thus preventing a prolapse. Hopefully, you cannget her through this second prolapse and get her back to health. Keep her separated until the prolapse stays in, and keep it moist with honey, sugar syrup, or a mild oil.

Back
Top Bottom