Culled eggs today and got a surprise

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CrazyFowlFreak, May 4, 2009.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I culled 11 eggs today:( The large percentage being unfertilized.[​IMG]

I'm not too pleased with the eggs I've ordered from ebay claming they were all fertilized eggs. Bah.

Anyhoo, while candling them for the fifth time:lol: I found one that was very dark and solid looking. Yep, a baby:( Almost fully developed chick in one of my "fresh" eggs that took ten days after the auction to be shipped:rolleyes:

I might've been able to save it if I had known, I kept it out for 28 hours before putting it (them) in the bator! Ugh, I am pretty upset also because they were supposed to be fresh! Also, this order with the dead silkie had a good percentage of eggs still clear at day 6. I think I need to complain, what do you think?

2. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

Kinda Crappy. I think I'd contact them to see what was up. I don't know why someone would send such an old and obviously already sat on egg! Some people just have no clue how to be decent and fair to someone else. Live by the golden rule I say! [​IMG]

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I've bought eggs off ebay 3 times. The first time I bought 8 eggs, all were well packed but I caught my mail lady shaking the box...ugh. Yes the box said "handle with care, fragile hatching eggs"

I got 3 beautiful gold laced cochin bantams out of those 8 eggs.

The second time I bought 10 eggs. Splash frizzles that I really really wanted. Not a single one developed. GRRRRRRRRRRR And I paid a small fortune for those because I wanted them so badly.

Today I bought a 3rd set. Call duck eggs. From a local woman who I also purchased call ducklings from. I trust her. I know where she lives. ROFL!!!

I have also purchased eggs from wonderful people on here. I say buy from people on here. You have a better chance of getting exactly what you want and most know how to pack the eggs really well.

Good luck in the future!

Laurie

4. meme9726

meme9726 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Byers, CO
    I would contact the seller to give them the opportunity to make up for the mess up. You should never get old or sat on eggs. Shipped eggs can be difficult to hatch as it is. What I expect from a seller of shipped eggs is fresh eggs (from birds that fertility has been confirmed), packaged well, from the breed advertised. I think most would agree, you have every reason to be upset. The eggs should have been candled before shipping and should have been collected fresh.

5. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    just because they didnt develope didnt mean they were unfertile,

6. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    with ebay you never know what you are going to get. There are some good sellers on there but my experience they are mostly crap. I have gotten eggs from breeders in the mail that have amazing hatch rates! sometimes 90% Most sellers on ebay are just doing it to make money and dont care about egg quality. An egg is an egg to them. Fresh or not, set or just laid. Thats why I stay away. It is tempting when you first start incubating and ebay is just a click away. I learned my lesson. The first time I purchased eggs were supposed to be seramas. I was tricked to pay 5.00 extra for bubble wrap and after hatching out the eggs the babies grew and grew and grew. The chick turned out to look like a large HEAVY bantam barred rock! he was enormous. I knew something was wrong/ but learned my lesson.

7. meme9726

meme9726 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Byers, CO
    Quote:That is very true

8. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    They were completely clear. Isn't that unfertilized?

9. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:Not necessarily. The embryo can get damaged/killed during shipping and won't develop at all. Also if the yolks get scrambled during shipping they won't develop either.

10. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Ah, okay. When I cracked them, there was no yolk, is that odd?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by