Culled my first today

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by nolagardener, Jul 22, 2010.

1. nolagardener

nolagardener New Egg

Feb 12, 2009
    Always knew I'd get to this point. Grew up hunting, fishing, etc. Had no problem 'doing the deed,' but now feel a little ill at ease because of how easy it actually was, considering these birds bordered on being pets for two years. Anyone else feel/felt this way?

2. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    I cannot do it to any of them. My daughter or husband have to. I then can take it once dead. There is only one chicken my daughter has attachment to of our 50+ and she has said she will not do her when the time comes. When she is culling or meaties she puts on her headphones and goes into her own world to get through it though.

3. nolagardener

nolagardener New Egg

Feb 12, 2009
    I have decided that I will in the future get only birds that all look alike, probably more Barred Rocks. The Americaunas (I know, not the best meat bird) were too easy to tell apart, both in look and personality. I've got the Rock marinating right now, but gave two of the Amers away... Still have 3 rocks running around and 2 Amers. Those two probably will live long, happy lives because they really behave like pets.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Honestly, I couldn't do meaties. I usually wait till my extra roos start to get annoying lol around 20 weeks or so. They start pestering the hens and thumping my legs when I walk by. Then it's easy once they've made me mad! If they were still cute and cuddly...no way would I be able to.

5. lisathenorth

lisathenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    Are you saying that you are uneasy with how easy it was to kill your birds? Did you think that you should have been more upset that your were killing birds that you have known for two years? I can't actually cull the birds myself, but I am alway there to help with the mess afterwards. I feel kind of serious when I am processing birds. I do talk alot while I am helping, but the conversation is usally kind of somber. I don't feel overly upset just slightly depressed.
    Lisa

6. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    I have sympathy for all the birds we kill, they are not exactly pets but they are not faceless chickens queueing up for slaughter. Most of them have names.
    Once the neck has been pulled, chopped or slit (whatever way) they turn from being chickens I know into meat for the table and then they become just something to be processed.

I can understand that you think you should feel more sympathy for them but if you are like us, from the outset we always knew that each and every chicken will eventually meet the same fate and have been mentally & emotionally prepared before hand, then it takes away the 'I'm a soulless chicken killer' feeling and makes it a 'I'm doing what I planned, and I'm doing it well' feeling.

We caught a wild junglefowl two days ago that had been bothering our chickens and I killed it there and then and I felt worse about that than I do with my own because it wasn't part of the plan, but when I put it into a predatory context (i.e. it was harming / could've harmed our chickens) I felt fine. Last night we had it in a red curry and it was delicious, probably more tasty than ours !

Don't beat yourself up about not beating yourself up - To quote Shakespeare.... 'That way madness lies'

7. nolagardener

nolagardener New Egg

Feb 12, 2009
    Quote:I think that's what I needed to hear. I knew I'd be slaughtering them at some point, so was prepared for that. I just thought it would be more upsetting. They were always meant to be eaten. Maybe I expected to be more squeamish about the killing and was surprised that it bothered me so little.

Thanks to all who have given input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by