Culling a chick-advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DomiHentrix, Apr 20, 2009.

1. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    One of the chicks was born with a lame leg and when I inspected it today it looks like it has been pecked at by the other chicks. The leg doesn't bend. I don't think that the chick could ever walk.

If you have ever had to cull a chick HOW did you do it? I
    'd like to hear some different options before moving forward. I did have to cull a chick with a crossed beak once. But I want to hear different options.

Thanks so much in advance

Warmly, Lara

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Most popular that I've heard of:

Using shears to cut off the head

Cervical dislocation

using baking soda and (??) to create a CO2 chamber to suffocate them

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I snip the head off with shears. sorry. you can stun them first by whacking thier heads on a counter top first if you prefer. I honestly think this is the best way.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I dont agree with the suffocation thing, but the removal of the head in a quick 'whack' of the axe or shears should do the trick.

5. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Baking soda and Vinegar. Be generous with both and put them and the chick in an air-tight container. They go to sleep that way.

As for the chick, is it able to get around? I have a chick with straddle leg and curled toes and she can walk on them. I tried hobbling the leg and booting the foot to no avail. It works for some chicks just not mine.

If you were close to me, I'd offer to take it. I like the animals with issues as I'm hoping that it teaches my kids that even when faced with adversity you can overcome.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I use a quick snip of the kitchen shears.

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I like the baking soda and vinegar, they just go to sleep then die. I've used the others but now that I know this I stick with it.

8. farmgirljen

farmgirljen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Corvallis Oregon
    When i worked at a pet store we had to euth small animals like hamsters, mice, etc... by wrapping them in a paper toel, or some tissues, then place them in a small cardboard box, and then put them in the freezer...... would probably work for the chick too...

9. DomiHentrix

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    Thank you all so much! I have culled a chick once. Iwill be honest I wrapped it tightly in a thin cloth and put it in my freezer and the time I didn't know what else to do and I assumed it would just go to sleep and then die. It was hard to do but I feel much more prepared for it this time and I wanted to know other ways.

I will try the baking soda and vinegar technique. How much of each, and how big of a container?

I don't think this is straddle leg. No curled toes, the joint has a large knot and does not bend. The chick can't bend the leg to do any moving or walking at all, it can just push around with one leg.

I am still weighing my options, I will have someone I know come and look at it to confirm it is not a slipped tendon or something befvore I cull it.

Thanks again, Lara

10. DomiHentrix

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    Quote:No worries. Whatever works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by