Culling a chick-advice

I couldn't do it...I'd probably have my hubby shoot it, pretty sure a .22 would take out a baby chick quickly, messy, but quick!!!
sad.png
Sooo sad, I just could not do it...I'm too chicken (no pun intended)
sad.png
And I'd want him to tell me NOTHING...I would just want it over with...I too would be snuggling every living thing I could...

...actually if I think about it long enough, I'd probably pay to have the vet put it out...

A lab where I used to work used ether on small animals. It is a bit irritating to the nose and lungs and does cause a bit of distress, apparently as measured in studies. But when you need something quick it does work just fine.

The techs would use a one gallon baggie or container, put lots of paper towel in the bottom, spray thoroughly with ether, close container to let fumes accumulate, and then put the animal in the bag and seal it shut. I've never seen an animal take more than 5 seconds to die.

Diethyl ether can be commonly found as carburetor starting fluid. Be aware though that it is highly flammable and should only be used in a well ventilated area, preferably outside. And the remains should be properly disposed of to prevent a fire or explosion. The animal can be disposed of by regular means (but never eat a chicken if you decide to euth in this manner) and we were able to dispose of the ether bags in special flammable trash cans.

From what I understand, You CAN eat the poultry euthanized by the baking soda/vinegar method. I think this method is the easiest to use for those of us that can not actually snap necks or cut heads off. Frankly, I'm a wimp when it comes to even thinking about either of those (at this point in time). The hardest part for me with the gaseous way is actually pouring the vinegar. I almost didn't do it. I had to keep reminding myself that she hadn't grown in a week, wasn't eating or drinking and was just starting the part where she didn't have the strength anymore. This is the third animal of mine that has needed to be euthanized in a year (my two ferrets both got adrenal disease; not contagious). BUT, my 10 other critters are all healthy (or mostly healthy) and that is what matters.

whatever you choose make it quick. Freezing is not fast and I believe slow and painful. The gassing well I am not sure how painless that is as well. I would rather it be over in a second as opposed to 5 seconds, or 5 minutes.

I am glad that I found this post. I have two chicks (now about 9 weeks old) with lame legs. My wife and I were in the coop the other day and noticed the others "picking" on the two of them. One was holding her/his own and the other (definite roo) was sitting by my wife cooing, of course she was protecting him from any aggression.

These two came from the breeder this way and I could have returned them but decided to make the best of them. The problem is that they can not make it outside to the run area and when I move the food and water outside they can't get to it so I have to put them outside and they can't get back in.

I am thinking of separating them into a smaller coop/cage so they can live together peacefully. Now I just need to figure out where and what to build for them. One is definitely a roo but the other might be a pullet. I would never breed these two but would keep them for eggs and just because they are special. You know teach the kids about respecting and caring for them.

I could kill a chick with just about any method listed here, except freezing.. maybe because I live in a cold climate and have too much respect for frostbite and cold and hypothermia.. extreme cold is painful.. take it from me, I have had over 65 years of experience with it..

I just take the chick in one hand and jerk the head with my other hand.. It instantly severs the spine and they are dead..

Back
Top Bottom