Culling a chick or hen

kidd42

Songster
10 Years
Feb 1, 2009
Valley Springs, Ca.
Hi, we are waiting on a chick delivery now, so we don't need to address this subject at this time (I'm hoping we don't ever have to, but assume that the time will eventually come.) What is the proper most humane way to cull:( a sick or injured chick/hen? Some questions I'd like to have the answer's to so as to know what to do.

Thanks for your advice

I had a chicken last year that from a chick just was not right. It did not gain weight and no types of cures for anything that might be causing it's ailment worked and it go so bad it could hardly walk. The closest thing was a letter in Backyard Poultry magazine a few months back where a woman described a chicken just like mine. It just didn't develop properly internally.

Graphic but, I held it in one arm and struck it's head with a hammer handle. It died immediately with two or three twitches.

The broomstick method is not an easy method for a first timer. So, I recommend the following

A chick...a pair of sharp scissors. Hold chick over a baggie and cut the head off cleanly and dispose of bag. There is very little blood and very little twitching. Just make sure they are sharp scissors.

a pullet or hen: Find a good tree stump or block of wood, drive two long nails into it about inch and half apart, slide the chicken's neck down between the nail and pull the feet aay from the nails until the neck is stretched out cleaning to see. Use a sharp hatchet and remove the head at the neck...between the nails and the body.

with a sharp hatchet or scissors, it is fast and not inhumane. With the broomstick method, it is not easy and you can end up causing the bird to suffer and having to make several attempts. If you were culling a bunch of birds at once and wanting to learn the method, then try the broomstick method but have that hatchet on stand-by.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
I'm sure this subject has been posted in the past, I probably should have done a search for it before posting the question.
Like i said in my original post, 'Not an issue yet" as we are expecting our Bitties the week of 2/23/09. Being newbies at raising hens, we are flooding ourselves with all kinds of questions and what if's.
The excitement level go's up a little each day in this house as we wait for the delivery day.

Thank you all again!

K2

Back
Top Bottom