Culling during Coryza

GigiBagADonuts

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 22, 2008
Brooksville FL
First please know I lurk daily but this is my first post.
Need some help on what to cull.I have been trying to stop the spread of what seems to be Coryza.
I know the only real answer is to test,which will be done now I know who to send it to.
I have already culled the visibly infected birds which nearly broke me after spending so much only to find out they wouldn't be viable breeders and only carry this disease to infect others.Which means I can't sell my chicks.GR
Sooooo do I wait it out on the others that look fine or jsut get it over with?
I planned to breed these birds BUT now I read after treating with antibiotics I can't even eat the eggs of my table layers?I knew there is naturally a withdrawl time,but bad eggs now on top of everything?I did a 10 day treatment of the whole flock at first sign of illness with auremyocin (sp)
So if you dealt with Coryza or any other infctious evily horrible heartbreaking disease did you just cull all or let it be?And what were your results after?
I would love any and all opinions as I am too crushed to think anymore and need some help as I just want this all to be over,it seriously sucks..
And if your totally against culling please don't be judgemental till you cried over this as much as I have;)
Thanks!

I feel for you! Welcome to BYC, but wish it was on a happier note. My own personal policy is to cull for any respiratory illness, though so far, I haven't had to make that decision. I hope I never will, either, because every one of my birds, all 52 of them, is a pet. Some will treat them, but so many diseases make them carriers for their entire lives, I feel it's just best to let them go or you will always be stressed and/or battling weakness in your flock. That's why I have a closed flock, never bringing in any started birds from anywhere. If we aren't vigilant to disinfect our shoes and keep feed bags away from the birds (feedstores are sources for contamination due to all the people who own birds and walk through there daily), disease can be brought in that way.
The thing about never eating eggs of birds who have been on certain meds is because the FDA hasn't studied the question. They are in tune with commercial producers, not backyard flock owners. Commercial producers always cull for disease, I think, so no meds of that sort needed. Naturally, use common sense with giving meds and then eating the eggs or the birds afterward.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome,I surely wish it was at a better time LOL
I appreciate your honesty and I knew it was most likely the right way to go about it.
Also thanks for mentioning the feed store I never considered it.I thought I was doing good biosecurity till I brought in a bird from a trusted friend.I know exactly what I did wrong,my bad.Not to be trite but it is was it is,no matter how devastating it is.These are my pets,I seen some born,handpicked others for breeding,named them.Simple mistake ruined it all.
Have a great day..

Back
Top Bottom