Culling is hard on my heart, yours?

Quote:
I suggest not to do this with a full-grown chicken. I attempted to do it several weeks ago and it didn't work. It was awful, terrible and next time I'm going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to break a neck. Much easier and quicker on the chicken, which at that point is all that matters. I had this idea that since I have a small, backyard flock that culling would not be something I had to think of. Wow, was I wrong.

I can't imagine it ever being easy
hugs.gif

Quote:
I suggest not to do this with a full-grown chicken. I attempted to do it several weeks ago and it didn't work. It was awful, terrible and next time I'm going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to break a neck. Much easier and quicker on the chicken, which at that point is all that matters. I had this idea that since I have a small, backyard flock that culling would not be something I had to think of. Wow, was I wrong.

I can't imagine it ever being easy
hugs.gif

A big hug to all of you! You all had good advice and thank you for the warm smiles.
Your right, it shouldn't have been about me, guess I got caught up in human emotions. GOD's creatures do trust us in keeping them healthy and out of pain. In fact, my heart was heavy all day and I dreaded the task at hand. But you know what? The good Lord knows our hearts and he took care of it for me. She was dead this morning. Bless all the farmers out there working to keep this nation fed.
You all helped give me focus on what HAS to be done sometimes.

I love BYC because of all the loving "common" folks our there!
GOD bless America

When we decided to get chickens, and were thinking about whether or not to also raise them for meat, I was very wary until I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. She has a great chapter on harvesting chickens for meat, and it really helped me see that it was okay. We still have not gotten to the harvesting (chickies still too young) and I know it will be extremely difficult and emotional, but I think that if it isn't difficult, then there is something wrong with us. Anyone who eats meat is responsible for an animal's death, but at least I know mine had a good healthy, happy life.

Quote:
The fizzing you get when you mix vinegar and baking soda is carbon dioxide being formed. Some people will put vinegar and baking soda in a closed container with a chicken and let the carbon dioxide finish it. Others say that it is inhumane because the animal suffocates.

(This is not to be confused with carbon MONoxide, which is very different.)

Last edited:
So sorry culling is hard to do
sad.png
. Luckily we only have a small flock (for today). Next week I have 32 chicks on the way. But even with a small flock we had a hen that was sick we tried to medicate and tried but she started to suffer and that I cant take. So I had hubby take care of her and bury her. The kids cried because "Dove" as they called her was their favorate Bantam. But she was suffering and my older daughter had to explain it to the step-sons. Sometimes it has to be done and with her it had to.. So sorry and the best of luck!

Your local vet could probably do it. I would not trust myself at it because of the emotional attachment I have with them. I would try to see how she is after a few days though! Have you tried vitamins or anything? Is she eatting ok? So just grow differently than others. My girls seem to have been born days and days apart.

hugs.gif
HollyTree, I'm sorry your little RIR died, but at least she spared you the grief of Doing the Deed. But at least she has gotten you thinking about the inevitability of culling birds because they're ill or injured, and also about your plans to raise & process meat birds.

There's a lot of good discussion on the Meat Birds section about processing techniques, and about helpful emotional mindsets. But whether or not you ever plan to raise chickens for the table, I think every chicken owner must have their own plan in place for culling ill or injured birds. It's like having a disaster plan for your home, or a fire escape route devised for every building. You hope you'll never have to use it, but it's essential to have plans made far in advance.

Each of us has different resources available to us, and different abilities. One person's plan may not work for another. The main thing is to find out what is available for you, and what you can or will have to do yourself. Don't wait until you have a suffering bird to start calling vets, friends or neighbors for help.

And just like every good fire escape plan has 2 possible escape routes, I think every chicken owner should have a Plan B ready in case their first choice for culling chickens is not available. Especially if you're planning on having a professional dispatch your birds. There may be a time you have an injured bird in pain and distress after working hours, and it cannot wait to be put out of its misery.

Quote:
I have culled a few birds so far. I had a roo who started to crow, a 6 week old chick with a broken leg, and a full grown BR from a local chicken owner who knew she 'wasn't right' (she had a baseball sized tumor in her) and 2 girls with bumblefoot that I couldn't fix.

I don't mind culling but I certainly don't like it. It's probably more stressful on me than it is on the animal - I make sure it's over before then know it. I know that my birds had sunshine, treats, love and affection their whole lives and other animals could be lucky to get that. I eat other meat but would much rather eat meat that I knew.

For my chick with the broken leg, she was the most skittish out of my flock. It was an accident that the dog got out and chomped on her leg. Because she was so skittish, I knew that splinting her would be incredibly difficult and ultimately only prolong the pain. I culled her quickly and processed her and fed her to my dogs (we do a raw diet around here). Nothing gets wasted and I thank the animal for providing for my family.

Back
Top Bottom