Culling - Is This Humane?

preppy*hippie*chick :

You know, women also reportedly have a much higher pain threshold than men. I believe it too. Anyone notice the difference between a man and a woman with a cold?

Or with a kidney stone?
roll.png
lol.png

I think that I may...that's may...be able to do it if I wasn't yet attached to the animal. If I got attached though, it would be hubbie's job! Oh and for the people that wrote about kittens, if you ever even think that a kitten or litter of kittens has been in your neighborhood, check under the hood of your car then next morning (or whenever the next time you start it is) before starting it. I heard this advice from my dad once and sure enough it came in handy. I heard some kittens around and the next morning I checked just in case. There they were, huddled under the hood for warmth. Had I started the car...well...it would have been bad... I had to shoo them away twice just in case. Fortunately their mama came around FINALLY and came to care for them a couple days later.

Quote:
I had a sex-link that I was very attached to. Her insides fell out again and again. I battled putting them back in and she would be fine for a while then they'd fall out again. One day I go outside and see the other girls chasing her and pecking at everything she had hanging out.
Culling can be difficult but not as bad as watching that.

Call me crazy, but has anyone even considered let a veterinarian humanely euthanize??? What's with all these barbaric ways of killing a precious little life?? Money ?? Then you shouldn'y own them to begin with.

if i were on death row and was able to choose the way i would die, i would choose the guillotine, Co2 chamber or lethal injection.

guillotine is fast and for the most part, painless. as mentioned before, the head can still remain concious for a while, which is scary. i could see how it's hard to cut the head off of a baby chick, but this is the most common method. have the hubby/boyfriend/brother/father do it. you don't have to be there and for some reason hubbys/boyfriends/brothers/fathers don't seem to have too much of a problem compared to us ladies.

now for C02 chambers. Co2 chamers allow a person to have the comfort of things like TV, music, a comfy chair. and you just fall asleep and die. it's just like normal breathing, as Co2 has no smell or taste. the reason Co2 that comes from cars stink so bad is because of the other chemicals involved. you can make a Co2 chamber for small chicks by using clear sealable container for the chick, and a larger sealable container for the Co2 producing chemicals (baking soda & vinegar) use a tube or hose to connect the two at the lids. put your chick in the small clear container. you can also put a heating pad, soft bedding, a favorite toy or just about anything to comfort her. close the container, be sure there are small vent holes in it to let the oxygen out so there is not a vas amount of air pressure when the Co2 is produced. then go to the larger one, put in the baking soda, then the vinegar (use your own judgment on how much. this container should be fairly large) and quickly close it. you can even hold the chick to comfort her if you use a cloth or towel to block the top of the container she is in.

now the one i would more likely prefer. i think we all know about lethal injection. you can have her taken to a vet and she will pass on peacefully with no pain.

Last edited:
I had to cull 2 chicks when they were less then a week old (I'm a newbie and these were my first culls). I did the "gas chamber" method after being assurd they would peacefully "fall asleep". Well it was not peaceful for myself or the chicks. I was actually shocked on how much trashing went on. It was fast, but not as fast as the whack on the head or decapitation. It's a hard thing to do, but is best for the chicks if they are suffering.

Quote:
although the gas chamber for humans is considered a humane way to die, for smaller critters you are right, it can be pretty bad. i honestly have my boyfriend chop the head off. again, for larger creatures it might not be so great, but for smaller animals it's likely more painless. still, if you can afford it, the injection is your best shot.

i would never put a live animal in the freezer though
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Sometimes you don't have a choice but to do it yourself. When the animal is in extreme pain or discomfort--ending it's suffering in a timely manner is the most humane thing to do.

If you're caught on a weekend, or at night for example--letting the animal suffer until the vet office opens is unacceptable.

I have been through the animal care training at many research facilities and Universities. Even with all of the medicines and equipment we have, the most humane method of ending an animals life is instantaneous massive head trauma. There is an immediate loss of consciousness and brain function. It is not an asthetically pleasing choice, that's true--but if your agrument is for a humane method, that's the best.

Most vets in my area do a cervical dislocation rather than a barbituate overdose. Based on my training, neither are significantly 'more' humane.

Back
Top Bottom