1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Culling Poult?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by mylilchix, Apr 16, 2012.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a week old turkey who can no longer walk. It can get around using its wings and is very alert. I'd just like to put the poor little guy of of his misery. What is the best way to cull him?

Thanks, Sonja

2. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Hi Sonja,
    I'm so sorry you have to cull your poult. I'm not THAT experienced, but I saw that no one else had replied yet, so I'll give it a whirl.

We have only had to cull one meat chick so far, and my dbf did it by stretching the neck. Body held firmly with one hand, head held with the other hand, and pull until you feel/hear the vertibrae cracking (be careful not to pull the head completely off). The poult may shudder a bit, but that's just nerve impulses.

I have also read about people using sharp kitchen shears to remove the head quickly.

Good job doing what is best for your poult. Good luck and be strong.

3. judsenn

judsenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    OR...a more humane was is baking soda and vinegar, the carbon dioxide acts like a gas chamber and puts them to sleep pretty much immediately.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    IMO- suffocation is not a humane way to euthanize anything. Take a sharp pair of pruning shears, place the poult in a bag and clip the head off inside the bag. Bury or burn the bag and all, you never have to see a thing. Good luck, sorry about your baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by