Culling Poult?

mylilchix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Front Range, Colorado
I have a week old turkey who can no longer walk. It can get around using its wings and is very alert. I'd just like to put the poor little guy of of his misery. What is the best way to cull him?

Thanks, Sonja

Hi Sonja,
I'm so sorry you have to cull your poult. I'm not THAT experienced, but I saw that no one else had replied yet, so I'll give it a whirl.

We have only had to cull one meat chick so far, and my dbf did it by stretching the neck. Body held firmly with one hand, head held with the other hand, and pull until you feel/hear the vertibrae cracking (be careful not to pull the head completely off). The poult may shudder a bit, but that's just nerve impulses.

I have also read about people using sharp kitchen shears to remove the head quickly.

Good job doing what is best for your poult. Good luck and be strong.

OR...a more humane was is baking soda and vinegar, the carbon dioxide acts like a gas chamber and puts them to sleep pretty much immediately.

IMO- suffocation is not a humane way to euthanize anything. Take a sharp pair of pruning shears, place the poult in a bag and clip the head off inside the bag. Bury or burn the bag and all, you never have to see a thing. Good luck, sorry about your baby.

Back
Top Bottom