Culling?

Cloudnine :
You can spend a lot of money on a stainless steel killing cone or you can salvage a road hazard cone that has been damaged (run over) and the bottom knocked off- and give it a new function by nailing it to a 2x4 or 2x6 which can be suspended to accommodate the height you want to work cutting the chicken.
I have found several sizes of hazard cones at yard sales for about a dollar each. Doesn't have to be pretty only needs to hold the bird from flopping around.
The road cones need to have the tops cut off to accomodate the heads of the chickens... their original configuration is a little too small for the new function. Depending on size of the bird being processed, cut off a little of the cone for a bantam or about three inches for a full sized meat bird.

I agree, before shelling out $$$ for a shiny cone, look around. We made our current one from heavy duty black plastic pond liner. It's not rigid, but it gets the job done. You just need anything big enough to fit the bird's body, an opening for the head......and washable. Washable is muy importante!

Bee kissed uses an extra large 182 floz bleach jug. I have not tried this myself...she says it works wonderfully.

This is a good thread to follow. How do you do turkeys or geese? Seems like a fight to me with those... Especially since my geese are awake at night too!

Last edited:
To me, you are the key to a humane killing much more than the method.

It is as humane as it can be if it is swift and sure. It needs to be a method that you can do..

Once again, Ridgerunner, you have excellent advice.

When humanely dispatching any animal, You just need to remember that you are trying to kill the animal not hurt him so you need to be deliberate and sure with what you do.

Donrae hammer nail.. Dead is dead at some points. I mean truthfully if you were asked how you wanted to be dispatched between head chopped off or bleed out what would it be, Mine would be neither at this point... I chop so its all just over with for them personally.. Its all personal outlook to me...

Had to cull two roosters today due to noise issue with the neighbors and aggressive behavior. My first time, it was hard but now I know I can do it. Instead of a kill cone, I used a large plastic kitty litter container (bigger than the bleach container and easier to work with) screwed into an outside work bench covered with plastic. I think the road cone is a good idea too. Make sure your blade is VERY sharp. I should have purchased a scalpel from TSC or purchased a knife specifically for the task. The first roo didn't go as well as I would have liked, part issue with blade and inexperience on my part.

Well, first I had to look up Culling, cause I read someone was going to do that at the end of the Summer...I read all the posts. Very interesting. I personally just can't with any of my Hens, but I am glad for those who do that they have humane ways of doing this. Growing up I remember my Dad doing Rabbits and tried a Sheep once, and then it frightened the Goat so she and her baby ran off and we caught them up the street. My Mom had to slit the Bulls throat when it appeared to have been poisoned, not sure, maybe a Rattler...anyways, dug a huge hole with a tractor and buried "Buster"... Thanks.. I still buy store bought Chicken ... I'm sure my Hens would be far more delicious. When they die, I just bury them under a tree...The eggs are delicious! Thanks everyone for the information.

Back
Top Bottom