Cup o' Joe and Tea Too

I made thread earlier about breed recommendations but I wanted to ask you all if you have any personal experience/suggestions on docile/friendly, good laying breeds. I am going to order my first backyard flock here soon :love Looking at getting 6-8 chicks. They will be used for eggs (mainly) but I would love for them to be family pets as well!

Also, I want a mixed breed flock. Are there certain breeds that are more compatible than others?
Speckled Sussex, Buff orpingtons, Rhode island red, Black Astrolorps, Barred Rocks.

I made thread earlier about breed recommendations but I wanted to ask you all if you have any personal experience/suggestions on docile/friendly, good laying breeds. I am going to order my first backyard flock here soon :love Looking at getting 6-8 chicks. They will be used for eggs (mainly) but I would love for them to be family pets as well!

Also, I want a mixed breed flock. Are there certain breeds that are more compatible than others?

I have a completely mixed flock and so far the only one that even though she was people friendly DID NOT get along with the flock was a red sexlink. I have an extremely docile flock and half of them let us pick them up and carry them around, lol. I think a lot of it has to do with how much time you spend with them. The larger body breeds tend to be the most docile in my experience. English Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Marans, etc. but I had a White Leghorn that would fly up to my shoulder and ride around while I completed chicken chores and they're known for being a flighty breed so individual personality always plays a part.

If you ask 50 people that question, you'll get 50 answers :lol:

My favorites (personality-wise) so far have been the Speckled Sussex and the red sex links. In my current flock, the Welsummer is the most people-friendly. And I do like the RIR's, the 2 I've had have been personable girls and great egg layers.

I actually have to agree that Rhode Island Reds and Red Sexlinks are very people friendly. Maybe even more so than some of the breeds I mentioned. When I was a kid we had 3 RIRs and they would willing come to sit in my lap. But in mixed flocks I had problems with the redheads attacking other chickens though. It was so bad that I couldn't keep them. I've heard other people mention the same. I guess they only like other red heads. LOL :lau

I actually have to agree that Rhode Island Reds and Red Sexlinks are very people friendly. Maybe even more so than some of the breeds I mentioned. When I was a kid we had 3 RIRs and they would willing come to sit in my lap. But in mixed flocks I had problems with the redheads attacking other chickens though. It was so bad that I couldn't keep them. I've heard other people mention the same. I guess they only like other red heads. LOL :lau
I agree. The queens are very sweet indeed, and fit right in with all my orpingtons, but that has not been my experience with this breed. Maybe it's because these two were raised by an Australorp? :D

I have a completely mixed flock and so far the only one that even though she was people friendly DID NOT get along with the flock was a red sexlink. I have an extremely docile flock and half of them let us pick them up and carry them around, lol. I think a lot of it has to do with how much time you spend with them. The larger body breeds tend to be the most docile in my experience. English Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Marans, etc. but I had a White Leghorn that would fly up to my shoulder and ride around while I completed chicken chores and they're known for being a flighty breed so individual personality always plays a part.

That is so sweet:love I would love for them to follow me around and/or ride on my shoulder! I agree a lot depends on how much time you spend with them. I feel like that's a great rule of thumb for any animal.

If you ask 50 people that question, you'll get 50 answers :lol:

Yes, i feel like everyone has their "favorites" :D:D Have you had any problems with the RIRs in mixed breed flocks?

I love this question! As much as I've been talking about the two queens, personality-wise they are not my favorites. (But I :love them!!!) They are Rhode Island Reds.

My favorites are orpingtons!!! They are big, fluffy, sweet chickens! And if you want variety, there are so many to choose from. I have Buff Orpingtons, Lavender Orpingtons, and Australorps, but there are others too. I'm not the type to sit in the pen and hold chickens on my lap, but if I were, these would be the friendly type to do it with.

One of my BOs is broody right now too, and sitting on eggs! :ya

I love the Buff and the Lavender Orpingtons. Do you have one that you prefer over the other? :) That is so fun you have a broody one! Hope the hatch goes well!

Back
Top Bottom