Cups vs Nipples??

I'm using electrolyte/probiotic water in one nipple feeder and a Chicken Chick design diy tomato cage water bottle nipple feeder for plain water. Using saucers filled with a tiny amount of pine pellets under each to catch dribbles from 7 chicks drinking all at once, as they do. I can't imagine how I'd keep the brooder dry any other way.

Note: i modified the tomato cage stand with a bike water bottle cage on zip ties which I will use to screw mount the nipple bottle inside the coop when they are about 8 weeks old and move outside. I have two bike bottle cages to mount because these Crèvecoeur chicks really go through water!
67338F4C-D354-4AE7-A127-01F709ABC96F.jpeg

Horizontal nipples are all I use. I can go away for over a week at a time and not worry about them running out of water. I use two 14 gallon drums for my waterers. When I get chicks, I start them on horizontals about 2 - 3 weeks old. For the waterer inside the coop, I have a large plant saucer(Lowes) underneath the drum, to catch the dribbles when they use the nipples, no wet bedding!

Heated 14 gallon waterer inside the coop. The base of the drum is a little bigger than a five gallon bucket, I got it from Amazon. The drum is sitting on 3 bricks, to raise it up in the saucer.
View attachment 2111726
I use nipples. But I'm interested to know why the HCs stay unfrozen at such low temps.

I like the horizontal nipples for one reason--my roosters' wattles don't freeze after being dipped in water when they get a drink during the winter.

OMG... can I unhear this? Now, forever and ever, when I'm out ski-trekking in the cold with a good crop of beardcicles I'll be thinking "frozen rooster wattles". 'Uff da', for sure!

Just wondering what do people use and prefer? Cups vs nipples? Less mess, cleaner, fresher water, ease of use, problems? Thanks!

We use the nipples. We have a continuous water running system off of a pump even with the heater for the Winter. Our chickens love it

Nipples for sure. Guaranteed water if you check the flow once in awhile. We put a valve at one end so when we open it the water will flow freely thru the pvc. Open it for about a minute or two and it will clear out any water that may be laying in the pipe. That said, the pipe is at an angle so water flows. Nipples are about 12" apart and we have a pipe going about 20' across the outside of the coop and under the raised coop in the shade. It is great for a low maintenance, clean water issue. They all take to it just fine. We introduce the babies in a nursery environment where the nipples are low to the ground for them to get used to and then when they are put out with the rest of the flock they are accustomed to it.

Okay... I just ordered some HN from www.mypetchicken.com

I sure liked the idea of the cups, but I'll defer to those of you with more experience. The chicks turned 4 weeks yesterday... I hope I didn't wait to long to introduce them to this new style. I'm sure they would have taken to the cups immediately, seeing as they are standing pools of water.

We'll see.

Now I have 12 unopened watering cups that need a new home... as well as what I believe to be a couple roosters. Oh well.
The chicks have to move the toggle over to get water to come out of the nozzle. It is not as easy as it may seem. My chickens never figured it out. I would have to push the toggle over every hour or so to make sure they were getting water. Everyone I have talked to says the nipples are the best. We are switching! My chicks are pullets now and I pray that the switch is successful ... fingers crossed!

I have cups. Yes, their beaks get the water a little dirty, i change the bucket two or three times a week and about every other week or as needed i wash it with dawn. I think it is worth the effort to be as clean as possible.

Attachments

• 66BC003B-7724-4000-831D-68BCA82B545F.jpeg
    66BC003B-7724-4000-831D-68BCA82B545F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
I'd say on average chickens prefer the cups over nipples. Cups can get dirty nipples are cleaner. Mine still use nipples. Takes longer to drink and keeps them occupied lol

Back
Top Bottom