Cups vs Nipples??

About to give cups a shot with my first flock ever. I sure hope they work!
How old are they? Mine like the cups best, but I supplemented water in the chicken yard in case the littles needed it at first. Often I manipulated the yellow pin to fill the cup for them, and while they drank from the cup, they would bump the pin, which kept it full. They need a demonstration first.

I've used all 3 types and have to report failure on the part of nipples and cups for me. My hens flat refused to use the nipples and were frantic for water if I tried to force them. Not happening and I won't stress them like that. I had one highly intelligent hen who would use them but only one out of a dozen.
They used the cups ok but wouldn't peck the little lever in the cup enough to make them refill with water so they'd dry out and again be out of water.
So, I'm back to the old standard chicken waterer.
I'm using one of these from Little Giant I bought at Wilco and making sure to change the water daily.
1588391373616.png

The spoiled rotten hens like it fine.

I've used all 3 types and have to report failure on the part of nipples and cups for me. My hens flat refused to use the nipples and were frantic for water if I tried to force them. Not happening and I won't stress them like that. I had one highly intelligent hen who would use them but only one out of a dozen.
They used the cups ok but wouldn't peck the little lever in the cup enough to make them refill with water so they'd dry out and again be out of water.
I'm using one of these from Little Giant I bought at Wilco and making sure to change the water daily.
View attachment 2118431

Changing the water in one of those daily turned into a major pain in the butt for me real quick. My auto system works great now and I very seldom have to worry about watering my birds. If all you offer them is a nipple to drink out of they quickly learn and it becomes a social thing for them to gather at a water nipple and share a drink with their coop mates.

I do a little maintenance on my system a couple times a year and that is all the work it needs. I have a drain in the bottom of the barrel and I like to dump it occasionally, I also have an inlet I can hook a hose to if we are in a dry spell and the rain hasn't kept the barrel loaded.

I hated the cups at first. I have the yellow toggle kind. From 4wks to 6wks my Barred Rock chicks wouldn't use them. But I noticed that my Cornish X chicks (mutant freaking 6lb birds at 5wks) used them and loved them. Better than the standard waterer similar to yours.

Cornish X are the dumbest birds I ever met btw...so if they used them there was a reason.

So, I paid attention. I'd been priming the cups regularly, and cleaning them out. So the bigger birds with the bigger heads and bigger beaks would come to drink. They never pecked at the toggle. Their fat faces moved them left or right (which by the way, is how they work. Pushing down doesn't let much water out), and they'd fill up. The Barred Rocks would only use them after the big birds were done, because their more delicate beaks didn't move the toggle.

Now the birds are all over 8wks, and the Barred Rocks have the system figured out. They will go to the cup, and MOVE the toggle left or right. Insta water.

God forbid I ever forget to fill the bucket...because within 24hrs I'll have to retrain the entire flock. They forget FAR more quickly than they learn lol.

I made my own buckets for a couple of years. Then I found the best ever Ones at premier 1 poultry supplies on line. They really keep the water clean. Lids are snug but easy to remove. It never gets algae. I change water 2-3 times week to keep fresh. Also bottoms recessed so u can set on ground to fill or clean and nipples do t get clogged. They also have super small kind for babies. I put in brooder and show 1 or 2 then they all crowd around like a game. If Introducing to established flock remove other water sources. She one or two hens and all will follow. Mi e love them but I. Super hot weather I always have a 5 gallon reg waterer out there to encourage them to drink more. I have 28 chickens.

Just wondering what do people use and prefer? Cups vs nipples? Less mess, cleaner, fresher water, ease of use, problems? Thanks!
Good question! I’m new and I was wondering the same thing too. Everyone has been great about responding to your question. It helps the rest of us newbies to hear the comments, experiences & recommendations. Thank you!

I have never really cared about what the chickens do or don't like. I offer them water in one form or the other and they have the option to drink or not. It is easy to tell if they are thirsty. If they don't have one type of drinking water they will soon learn to use something else.

In my 20 years of raising chickens I have seen that the biggest problem in getting chickens to drink out of one kind of waterer or the other is the person responsible for the waterer not the chicken. If water is available they will soon learn how to get it no matter how it is offered!

Back
Top Bottom