Cure for leg paralysis?

I suppose it's always possible. She's been acting weird off and on for months though, starting in October, and then for the whole month of December she was perfectly fine, or so I thought, then I found her collapsed out there this month. We are always battling Capillary worms so that is what I treated her for, but I don't think that is what it is either. If it's Marek's it's progressing very slowly. She's a Golden Comet and I always get the impression they were not bred for longivity especially, although we have another one out there who is six years old. Twinkie is only 3. From research,I've concluded that there's a jillion reasons why they can get leg pararlysis..it seems to be very common.
Since she is an "older" production bird, it could be related to some type of internal laying/reproductive disorder. Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors can also affect the legs/mobility. Have you noticed any bloat or feeling of fullness in her abdomen? Have her eggs been "normal"?

I hope you see improvement soon with the supportive care you are giving her.

Since she is an "older" production bird, it could be related to some type of internal laying/reproductive disorder. Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors can also affect the legs/mobility. Have you noticed any bloat or feeling of fullness in her abdomen? Have her eggs been "normal"?

I hope you see improvement soon with the supportive care you are giving her.

Thank you. I haven't noticed any bloating. What I thought was odd (and why I finally decided it wasn't parasite related) is that she was of very good weight, not underweight really at all, maybe just slightly but not like she would have been if she'd had worms. She quit laying a while ago, maybe 6 months to a year since I've seen her in a nest box. So you might be on the right track there. It's too bad as she is much brighter and stronger since we have been tube feeding her, but I just feel like we are keeping her on life support, and it's not exactly a great quality of life for her. Unless she starts eating and/ or moving her legs sometime in the next few days, I'm thinking we might have her put down, although I so hate to do that.
sad.png

Thank you. I haven't noticed any bloating. What I thought was odd (and why I finally decided it wasn't parasite related) is that she was of very good weight, not underweight really at all, maybe just slightly but not like she would have been if she'd had worms. She quit laying a while ago, maybe 6 months to a year since I've seen her in a nest box. So you might be on the right track there. It's too bad as she is much brighter and stronger since we have been tube feeding her, but I just feel like we are keeping her on life support, and it's not exactly a great quality of life for her. Unless she starts eating and/ or moving her legs sometime in the next few days, I'm thinking we might have her put down, although I so hate to do that.
sad.png
I do hope she starts to improve with the tube feeding.

I'm sure whatever decision you come to will be the right one.
hugs.gif

Thank you. This is weird, but I gave her an aspirin in her tube feeding yesterday. We only fed her once. Today I did not have time to tube feed her in the morning so I put some moist food out for her, some buttermilk bread and damp crumbles. It didn't look like she ate it, but when we went to tube feed her this afternoon, her crop was mostly full. Also when I picked her up, she moved her left leg. We gave her a little more food via tube with another aspirin, electrolytes, probiotics, baby food, and yogurt and water. We only gave her about 5 cc's and she started to protest, so we stopped. Her crop was then entirely full. I set her down for a bit and then picked her up and gently picked up one wing at a time and flapped it, did each wing by turns. And she paddled her legs! So I don't know...the legs are not paralyzed exactly, but still not sure what is going on. They are limp, but not quite as limp as they were. Way too early to hope yet, but I decided to withhold food for the rest of the day and see if her crop is empty in the morning. She has been passing waste but it is mostly liquid, due to her diet. She was very tired after I was done messing with her, and basically passed out.

How are you keeping her - is she just laying down, propped up or do you have her in a sling, etc?
Checking to see if the crop is functioning properly is a good idea.

If you haven't done so, you may want to consider placing her in a sling or something similar for at least a few hours a day if you think she can stand it. This will get her upright so hopefully the crop will clear.

Just my thoughts

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1115597/need-a-chicken-sling

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I have her propped up, but she is never comfortable. I hate using a sling, I've used them in the past once or twice, it seemed to me the birds were more terrified of them than anything. Yesterday morning her crop was empty, and her droppings were normal, but I think she is dying. She now seems to only be able to eat a bite or two of solid food. We left her with her solid food all day yesterday..minced grapes and dampened chick starter..and she would hover over it like she wanted it, but just couldn't eat. I tried holding her in my lap to eat,...but nothing doing. And she resisted...a lot..when we tried to tube feed her. yesterday evening..to the point where we had to stop. I was getting the impression that it was hurting her. I haven't given her anything today yet, and she is semi comatose. I just don't want to bother her. I'm undecided what to do at this point.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I have her propped up, but she is never comfortable. I hate using a sling, I've used them in the past once or twice, it seemed to me the birds were more terrified of them than anything. Yesterday morning her crop was empty, and her droppings were normal, but I think she is dying. She now seems to only be able to eat a bite or two of solid food. We left her with her solid food all day yesterday..minced grapes and dampened chick starter..and she would hover over it like she wanted it, but just couldn't eat. I tried holding her in my lap to eat,...but nothing doing. And she resisted...a lot..when we tried to tube feed her. yesterday evening..to the point where we had to stop. I was getting the impression that it was hurting her. I haven't given her anything today yet, and she is semi comatose. I just don't want to bother her. I'm undecided what to do at this point.

hugs.gif
Here's a hug. I know you are doing the best you can.

Thanks.
hugs.gif
I've decided to have her euthanized, tomorrow if the vet has time. She has suffered enough.
hit.gif
I think her throat is sore from tube feeding. We fed her again this evening, but she just did not want it. She seems to enjoy just being stroked, so maybe that gave her some comfort.

I appreciate everyone's support.

Thanks.
hugs.gif
I've decided to have her euthanized, tomorrow if the vet has time. She has suffered enough.
hit.gif
I think her throat is sore from tube feeding. We fed her again this evening, but she just did not want it. She seems to enjoy just being stroked, so maybe that gave her some comfort.

I appreciate everyone's support.

I'm sorry.

I know it's hard but if she is suffering and her quality of life is not there, then euthanizing is the most kind, loving and responsible thing to do.

I'm seriously considering ending it for the two hens I currently have with leg problems which haven't responded to any treatment. In my case, I'm reasonably certain I'm dealing with tumors from lymphotic leucosis because my flock has already been diagnosed with LL.

As long as you have decided to euthanize your hen, I highly recommend you ask the vet to order a necropsy to determine exact cause of this hen's woes. The information, while possibly painful to know, will be important to have in the way you manage your flock going forward.

Back
Top Bottom